Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest linux-headers-3.8.0-18 + Nvidia = Borkage (Again)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Latest linux-headers-3.8.0-18 + Nvidia = Borkage (Again)

Just got the latest linux-headers-3.8.0-18 update. After a restart Grub launches, if I choose Ubuntu (its either that or a memory test) I get a screen of jumbled text and nothing else happens. Do a hard shutdown, grub launches again and use the advanced options to pick the previous kernel and everything back to normal.

Using the Nvidia 310 updates repo.

At least they are being consistent this cycle

UPDATE - Removing the Nvidia repo and using the default Xorg graphics lets the system boot up normally.

UPDATE - Bug #1169325 reported. Reported against the nvidia repo, but maybe it should be the kernel? There was also a 310-updates update.
    Last edited by victor9098; April 15th, 2013 at 09:34 PM.
    Currently running LXQt on;
    - Packard-Bell Imedia S1800 PC [2010, Dual Core Pentium E5800, Nvidia GeForce GT 620, RAM 4GB]
    - Dell Inspiron 15 3521 [2013, Dual Core Intel i3-3217U, RAM 8GB]

Beans

Re: Latest linux-headers-3.8.0-18 + Nvidia = Borkage (Again)

It seems to have taken out my NVIDIA HDMI Audio as well (both with the 310 and 319.) Spent a bit of time digging into it last night before bed, will look later today when I get home.

-Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It did the same to my ATI proprietary graphics driver. The first reboot after the updates it just crashed. I rebooted again and it reverted to the opensource Gallium driver. I reinstalled the ATI driver using the Additional Drivers function and it reinstalled perfectly. First time I've been able to recover from a graphics borkage so easily.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Reinstalling 13.04 right now. Grub kept launching on start-up. Tried the boot repair tool but no joy. System would not turn off or restart either, monitor would switch off but box would stay on indefinitely so had to do hard shut downs. The last three kernel updates have been a nightmare.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I must be living right, or my kindly disposition toward penguins is paying off. The only Nvidia issue I've had in the last month with 13.04 is very infrequent refusal to awaken from suspend. I get a flashing cursor and that's it. A hard reset fixes restores normal function and I can see no rhyme nor reason. I suspect the frequent updates and packages that are not in sync may have something to do with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

no issues here, but i am using xorg edgers
    - xfwm4 is working
    - compiz is working
    using latest kernel (not using the proposed source)

edit: no hdmi audio in volume control, i use analog audio by my tricking the tv into thinking i am using dvi
    edit: i used to get odd beeps from my tv that were barley audible, i no longer have these beeps now
    when this audio gets fixed i need to know how to break it like this
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; April 16th, 2013 at 04:19 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Just did a fresh reinstall, never bothered with the nvidia repos, left the 'proposed' unchecked and after updating to the latest kernel I am back to the grub screen on boot and the computer refusing to turn off.
    - Packard-Bell Imedia S1800 PC [2010, Dual Core Pentium E5800, Nvidia GeForce GT 620, RAM 4GB]

Beans

I just rolled back to 3.8.0-17 and HDMI Audio works fine. I will probably put in a bug if there isn't one already.

EDIT: Bug started for HDMI Audio, will gather some more details soon https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1169761
    Last edited by mloebl; April 17th, 2013 at 12:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I am getting some strange behaviour. Restarting the computer usually causes it to freeze on shutdown. Shutting down seems to work. But when I boot up the Bios screen launches, then the plymouth Ubuntu screen...then it jumps back to the Bios screen, grub launches, Ubuntu is the only option to choose, then the system starts as normal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A new kernel v. 3.8 is available from RR repos now (3.8.0-19.29).
    That is based on mainline 3.8.8.

Here:
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/raring/...ux/3.8.0-19.29

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast