Thread: need recommendations on buying new MB & Vid card

Beans

need recommendations on buying new MB & Vid card

Hi,
    After nearly 7 years, my old trusty desktop bit the dust.
    Now I am in the market for a new desktop so I need some recommendations
    on a good MB & Vid card that will work with Ubuntu ( specifically Xubuntu ).

I want this to be AMD ( not Intel ) and I want 8 gigs ram to start, eventually will expand to 16 gigs.
    I tend to use a computer until it falls apart, so I plan on keeping it a long time, therefore I would like
    something more toward the high end, with the idea that I might be able to upgrade it as long as possible,
    I just don't want to go overboard on the price and get anything super-high end.
    Also, I run 12.04 LTS

Thanks for any info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: need recommendations on buying new MB & Vid card

I find the Ars Technica System Guides a good place to start.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Historically, ATI/AMD video has been a less smooth ride on linux than has Intel or Nvidia. I've read posts that indicate AMD is doing more with video drivers etc. but I have no first hand experience. I have a 2009ish Gigabyte M.B. w/AthlonII X2 processor so not a up-to-date machine. It works fine except for a BIOS that doesn't like to boot live USBs unless they were formatted to FAT32 with Windows. Live USBs formatted to FAT32 using gparted boot fine on 2 Thinkpads and one older AMD/Gigabyte system so it appears to be just that one BIOS version.

Beans

I would not mind going with Nvidia but wasn't Nvidia the one that Linus was ragging on a while back because they wern't supporting Linux like they should?

Beans

what about these guys?

motherboard:
    Code:
    Gigabyte Ultra Durable 4 Classic GA-78LMT-USB3 Desktop Motherboard - AMD 760G Chipset - Socket AM3+
    cpu:
    Code:
    AMD Quad-Core Processor FX-4100 (3.6 GHz) AM3+

video card:
    Code:
    XFX HD-645X-ZQH2 Radeon HD 6450 625 MHz Core - 1 GB
    except I don't see the 6450 listed here for 12.04:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

Beans

I have recently built the computer that I am typing this post on and I think you are on a good road looking for an AMD chip! This one has the new AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor running on an Asus board. These chips are not that expensive and well worth a look at. Disregard almost all of the negative press about the 8 core chips, this one screams along and the price was definitely right. I went with NVidia for graphics and although there has been some instability recently with the closed source drivers I would still recommend NVidia graphics...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    I have recently built the computer that I am typing this post on and I think you are on a good road looking for an AMD chip! This one has the new AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor running on an Asus board. These chips are not that expensive and well worth a look at. Disregard almost all of the negative press about the 8 core chips, this one screams along and the price was definitely right. I went with NVidia for graphics and although there has been some instability recently with the closed source drivers I would still recommend NVidia graphics...
    I haven't really kept up with the Intel vs. AMD processor debate but as of a couple years ago, Intel processors would benchmark a lot better than AMD. The reason, at least in part is that individual Intel cores were faster, AMD would offer more cores for the same $. Windows software was unable to effectively utilize more than 2 cores so a dual core processor with faster cores might benchmark better than a quad core AMD CPU, 2 of whose cores were nearly idle. I don't know if Linux is better in that regard or not. Another case of it being wise to look at benchmarks with a skeptical eye.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I just built a new ubuntu desktop with a i5 3570k and 8 gig of ram, the cpu has a intel hd4000 gpu built into it and is supported with open source drivers. so hopefully no gpu shennigans
    HACK THE PLANET!!! sorry