Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it cruel to keep pets?

Beans

Re: Is it cruel to keep pets?

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    How weak? Sounds interesting.
    Submissive is the only important thing really. Weakness isn't that relevant now that I think about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

We have a symbiotic relationship with our pets. We provide food, medicine and shelter, they provide amusement, exercise and protection.
    We derive pleasure from stroking a cat and it's purring will send me to sleep any time I lie on the sofa.
    A dog will amuse you with it's antics, going for a walk will heal your body and soul.
    My dog is not vicious but she will bark to alert me if someone is outside my house.
    I believe that pet owners live longer because they are less stressed than others.

There is no such thing as the natural world that you talk of, humans have modified almost all of it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    There is no such thing as the natural world that you talk of, humans have modified almost all of it.
    I don't think there ever was a natural world quite the way the OP seems to imagine it.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

We have five cats we adopted from the streets. Had we not those five felines would have been put to sleep by the animal control people three days after they were captured. That's cruel.

Beans
    Hidden!

It depends on the animal.

I would be hard pressed to label my snake as unhappy. Snakes sleep like 95% of their lives, most of the time they only bother moving to find food or a safe place to sleep.
    That's what she said.

Beans

Take a domestic dog and see how well it lives in the wild and then decide again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

C. lupus familiaris, a subspecies of wolf, has co-evolved with H. sapiens in a cooperative relationship that benefits each in survival. C. lupus was a willing partner as soon as some individuals began associating closely with H. sapiens.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by J-E-N-O-V-A View Post
    So do you think your cat would enjoy freeloading off you eating processed food more than taking care of its own healthy litter in the wild whilst eating tastey raw flesh? I don't. There's risk involved, but the rewards are much better imo. We should release them all into a wild environment in which we are not allowed to enter imo, but instead we maintain it, build heavy and humane security for our farms and ensure it's a purely wild environment that spans continents.
    Around here, THEY would be the tasty raw flesh. Coyotes have no moral compunction about a fresh cat meal. People who spend time in the wooded peripherals of developed area periodically find tufts of fur, bones and a flea collar. The real world ain't a Disney movie.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Most house pet breeds of dogs and cats have already been bred to be domesticated. They are not wild animals. Keeping a lion or wildebeast as a pet is cruel. Keeping a housecat or chihuahua as a pet is not cruel.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Is it cruel to keep pets?

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Most house pet breeds of dogs and cats have already been bred to be domesticated. They are not wild animals. Keeping a lion or wildebeast as a pet is cruel. Keeping a housecat or chihuahua as a pet is not cruel.
    Agreed. You might want to read this:The Covenant of the Wild: Why Animals Chose Domestication.

http://www.amazon.com/Covenant-Wild-.../dp/0300079931

I also suspect squirrels and raccoons are also gradually domesticating themselves. You can already see color mutations in squirrels. The squirrels who are the most willing to approach humans are the winners, just as wolves used to be way back when.
    Last edited by Linuxratty; April 15th, 2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: clarifaction.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast