Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Fortress 2 Black Screen of Death

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unhappy Team Fortress 2 Black Screen of Death

Hello everyone!!! This is my first time that i have used the Ubuntu forums. I apologize if i may sound like i have never used a computer before, but i have PLENTY of experience with Windows. However, i am very new to the Ubuntu OS, since i just got this computer yesterday. Enough pleasantries, let us get on with what i have to ask.

Every time i startup TF2 (Team Fortress 2), the Valve Logo and the Source Logos appear, with the usual startup sound. But they appear on the top right of the screen instead of being in the center of the screen, PLUS they appear upside-down (dunno if this is a glitch or bug but...), while followed by a totally black screen, then followed by returning to the Steam interface about a minute to a minute and a half later. Is there a way to fix this without hassle or anything like that? I just want to be able to play Team Fortress 2. Also, i am having trouble with launching Minecraft, but i will ask that in a later thread...

My computer specs:
    -Ubuntu 12.04 (precise)
    -Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz
    -Frequency:3389.176 MHz
    -L2 Cache:2048 KB
    -Memory Total:3000 MiB

Please Help Me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: Team Fortress 2 Black Screen of Death!!!!!!

Not a Chat thread.

Thread moved to Gaming & Leisure.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What is your graphics card?
    • AMD/ATi or an Nvidia Card
    • Model number [e.g RadeonHD 7850 or GeForce GTX 660]
    • Graphics driver [e.g Open Source(nouveau/radeon) or Proprietary (fglrx/nvidia)]

If you can provide us with that information, it will help us help you
    Last edited by myromance123; April 15th, 2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Typo

Beans
    Distro

Ok what is a good way to view all that info.? Again i have just started to use Ubuntu and so yes i am very noobish to you all.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry about that, I just assumed you knew your way around.

Ok, to check what graphics card you have just open a new Terminal and Enter the following:
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    Not sure where to find the Terminal? Just open Ubuntu's Dash (or click the Windows key on your keyboard). Then type in "Terminal". Open that, and type the command above. Copy the contents it outputs, and post it here.

To determine what kind of graphics driver you may have installed, once again open Ubuntu's Dash (or click the Windows key on your keyboard). Type in "Software Sources" and open that. To the top right, you should see a tab that says "Additional Drivers". Click that.

There should be one driver at least selected ( the circle will have a dot in it ). Please let me know what driver that is (just type the entire name and post it here).
    I hope my instructions are clear, let me know if you get stuck

Beans
    Distro

Ok so i have the specs. Here they are:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Hope it helped...

Beans
    Distro

Alright, so your graphics hardware is an Intel Integarted unit.

There are two things I can think of to help you get the latest drivers for it. Which one you use is entirely up to you.

Using Glasen PPA [Unofficial]
    Following 1204's instructions here: LINK
    This will hopefully help you install the latest Intel drivers.

Using Intel's Installer [Official]

Go to the following link, and download the Installer for Ubuntu:
    https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloa...hics-installer

After downloading the installer, run it and follow the on screen instructions. Since I don't have an Intel Graphics card myself, I can't test this driver installer.

Even with the latest driver however, I can't guarantee that you'll get TF2 working. TF2 has rather high graphics requirements, and since you're using an Intel Integrated Graphics unit you don't have a lot of horsepower for GPU workloads.

Beans
    Distro

Ok thank you. also now i am having trouble with my Ubuntu right now. I was searching stuff on Google Chrome when my computer froze. I decided to turn the power off by force and i just held down the power button. When i booted up the computer again, it went to the login screen. i logged in and then i tried to open up Chrome. When i did however, i got a black screen with some white text. I think that the most important errors that were on that screen were like:

195.073855] BUG: unable to handle kernal paging request at ffffffff801e4a2b

and this too on the same screen

Bad RIP Value

I have a very bad feeling that this is serious. One time i even got a kernal panic... Over all that time i may have pressed the power button to force shut it off maybe 10-25 times. Plz help me...

Beans
    Distro

That is pretty bad. It's possible your system has broken packages.

If you can, please restart Ubuntu and upon logging in open a new Terminal.
    Type this in and hit Enter:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -a --configure
    After running this, does it give any errors? Please post them here if there are any. I hope I can help you, but this sounds a lot more technical than my current knowledge comprehends.

Beans
    Distro

I don't know if this is ABSOLUTELY true or not, but i think the system is stable... I did as you told me to, then i rebooted the system. It seems to be running smoothly now... i will start to install the drivers.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast