Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New to this and can't even get started

Beans

Re: New to this and can't even get started

Some thing new has happened
    After removing Wubi from the HDD which has Windows on it, I reinstalled Wubi on my smallest empty HDD and now I get this screen...(see attachment)
    So no I'm going to try some of those acpi commands

Also this info came up when I hit the TAB key..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mag107; April 15th, 2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: forgot pic

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ah, a Wubi install in Windows. A completely different kettle of fish and why you are not getting the options. Try booting from the LiveCD that you install the regular Ubuntu with. When you get to the screen with the options to Try/Install etc, hit F6. You will get a pop-up with a bunch of options. Hit the 'nomodset' which should be on the list and continue to 'Try Ubuntu'. What happened?

Wubi is not intended as a permanent solution and is intended to try Ubuntu for awhile to see if you like it (but frankly you can do this with a LiveCD anyhow).

If you are running regular Ubuntu from the Try Ubuntu options from the LiveCD, though, you can have problems installing some drivers, namely wireless and graphics, especially if third-party. There's nowhere to install them (except to RAM).
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; April 15th, 2013 at 02:08 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Ah, a Wubi install in Windows. A completely different kettle of fish and why you are not getting the options. Try booting from the LiveCD that you install the regular Ubuntu with. When you get to the screen with the options to Try/Install etc, hit F6. You will get a pop-up with a bunch of options. Hit the 'nomodset' which should be on the list and continue to 'Try Ubuntu'. What happened?

Wubi is not intended as a permanent solution and is intended to try Ubuntu for awhile to see if you like it (but frankly you can do this with a LiveCD anyhow).

If you are running regular Ubuntu from the Try Ubuntu options from the LiveCD, though, you can have problems installing some drivers, namely wireless and graphics, especially if third-party. There's nowhere to install them (except to RAM).

Hello again

We're getting close lol, with the LiveCD. What I have found is if I hit the F6 key as soon as the screen fires up with the key board pic - little icon at the bottom of the screen I get to choose English and then the main menu is there=D>

I can select Mem test that works and I can select Check Disc for Defects (none).

I can select try Ubuntu without installing but it does the same as before and just stops running after a bit... I don't get the list with 'nomodset' in it...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

When you get to the Try Ubuntu and other options (mem test, check for defects, etc.) there should be a bar along the bottom with a bunch of things you can choose with F* keys. Hit F6 then.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    When you get to the Try Ubuntu and other options (mem test, check for defects, etc.) there should be a bar along the bottom with a bunch of things you can choose with F* keys. Hit F6 then.
    Thanks I'll try that right now...Be back soon

Beans

OK for me on start up booting from the Live CD/DVD, I hit the F6 key as soon as the 1st screen appears and then F6 again and I get the full menu...Then I pick the nomodset hit enter to put a * next to it and hit the Esc key and enter again and the CD/DVD starts up and runs for sometime with activity light blinking away and stops just like before...
    So next boot up all as above except for now I put acpi_osi= at the end of the boot option line, same results...Did the same thing but typed in acpi_osi="linux" same again and then tried acpi_osi="windows 2006" and yet again the same results, Do I need the inverted commas ? also is it Capitals L for linux and W windows?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

While you're in the extended menu, check the disk for errors. That might be another problem.

Beans

Thanks but in a few posts up I did and no errors (CD/DVD). I thought that too

Just a thought, I have read others download Ubuntu on to a CD but I had to put it on a DVD as it was 735mb?
    Last edited by Mag107; April 16th, 2013 at 06:16 AM. Reason: extra info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Missed that

There's this bug report for the same card that suggested: nouveau.blacklist=1 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...au/+bug/713867) Don't know if it's relevant (as that was for Natty - release 11.04), but might be worth a shot.

Beans

Thanks bud

I tried nouveau.blacklist=1 and got this screen, oh bummer.lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast