Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your idle CPU temperature?

Beans

Re: What is your idle CPU temperature?

@Cheesemill

How do you overclock in Linux? BIOS? I used to love OCing back when I was using Windows... Oced an Athlon 64 FX-55 to 3.2Ghz.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    @Cheesemill

How do you overclock in Linux? BIOS? I used to love OCing back when I was using Windows... Oced an Athlon 64 FX-55 to 3.2Ghz.
    BIOS.

My Server reads 44C for the CPU, but 34C for the hard drives. It's not fully idle, though (VMs are running).

Oh, the CPU is a i7 2600K @ 3.4Ghz (Sandy Bridge).
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

For me it is 42℃ after 14 hours of uptime. The temperature just after a cold boot is normally around 35℃. It's a Pentium Dual Core E2140 1.6 GHz on a run-of-the-mill MSI mainboard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thinkpad W530; I7-3630; two 500-gig drives; using onboard Intel: 40-45C, with occasional higher and lower outliers. Fans perk up at 44/45.

Always on AC at "max performance". No throttling or battery coddling.

Beans

Thanks CharlesA, will be doing that tonight, I'm buying a new fan tonight, so I'll wait till then to post my CPU temp.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

A raw CPU temp may or may not have much meaning (beyond whether or not it is in the safe operating temperature zone) due to the configuration of the system.

For instance, it might sound impressive for me to tell you that my CPU idles at around 30°. But it's not by magic.

At 20 - 22° C ambient, my AMD Phenom II x6 1100T idles at 19 - 21° per AMD's goofy temperature output as interpreted by sensors. I add 10° via a script to feed to my conky for a corrected reading of 29 - 31°.

It's air cooled by a Noctua NH-D14, voltage regulated fan speed (because Noctua's fans that came with it when I bought it are not PWM), with the fans running ~ 500 - 525 rpm (max is 1200). The machine is in a Cooler Master HAF X case with 4 200mm fans.

Running pi on all six cores for 30 minutes gives me a stable temperature of 50°C +/-1° at 100% core load. I've never seen the CPU cooling fans kick up above 1000 rpm (83% of 1200 rpm).

The reason the CPU runs as cool as it does is that I'm blowing massive amounts of cool air over it.

Right now, with several things running, sensors is giving me this on the CPU:

Code:
    k10temp-pci-00c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    temp1:        +22.2°C
    My conky shows this:

imagemgr51.png
    Last edited by QIII; September 9th, 2013 at 12:22 AM.
    My Blog
    Ubuntu Help Pages I'm constructing: AMDGPU and AMDGPU-PRO
    Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123