Thread: How long is attempt to recover scan suppose to take in GParted?

Beans

How long is attempt to recover scan suppose to take in GParted?

Hello,

I decided to use GParted which I received from downloading partedmagic. The option I selected was attempt to recover. I selected this option for an 80 GB WD external hard drive. There is about 50 GB of information on the drive. Although it states in GParted only about 20 GB are being used. It is only in the scan portion. It states "searching for file systems on /dev/sdb". The only things I have selected in GParted are the drive to recover and the attempt to recover. No other options have been selected or have been able to be selected. It has been doing this scan for almost 48 hours now. In the online manual it says can take a long time for partition moving, editing...however I am doing an attempt to recover. Now, I really am a beginner at this and am not sure what the attempt to recover is doing, if anything, to my partitions. This seems to be an excessive amount of scan time for the size drive it is. Is this excessive? If not, how long on average does the scan take for attempt to recover? Is there a safe way to exit out? I only see a close option and that does seem to be safe at all.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.
    Dana
    Last edited by dana987; April 12th, 2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: used wrong word (scanning vs. searching), which could be important

Beans

Re: How long is attempt to recover scan suppose to take in GParted?

I tried that on a slightly larger drive, took maybe an hour....YMMV.
    AMD 64 3000+, 2G RAM, ASUS K8N , XFX GS7800, Linux Mint 9 , WinXP(dual boot/seperate HD)

Stalker's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving how much the United States sucks approaches one.

Beans

Re: How long is attempt to recover scan suppose to take in GParted?

Quote Originally Posted by click4851 View Post
    I tried that on a slightly larger drive, took maybe an hour....YMMV.

Thank you very much for replying. I really appreciate it. Do you know if there is a safe way for me to exit this? Do you think it will ever stop? I wonder if it just appears something is happening but nothing is???