Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am stuck with 3 problems....... :(

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Am stuck with 3 problems....... :(

Hello Everybody .. am a newbie to LINUX, and start my journey with Ubuntu 12.04, and am stuck with 3 problems..

1. My First problem is pretty funny. My headphone doesnt work though it used to when I found a solution from a net and implemented it. solution was like i had to append a like options snd-hda-intel model=eapd probe_mask=1 position_fix=1 to my /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf file. It was working fine until day before yesterday and then on yesterday when I logged into my Laptop it stopped working. I tried to switch several times to sound system with and without headphone but its not working anymore.

2. I want to play .swf format files, Currently am playing it on Gnash viewer/player but am not happy with it. So is it possible to play this file using current default player which is Movie Player, and if so then which kind of plugin I might need to install ??? [ So far Tried to use VLC/KMplayer/Mplayer/Movie Player Nothing of them has worked ]

3. How can I install Skype? [ Solved ]

thanks in advance ..
    Last edited by virus7; April 13th, 2013 at 07:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Am stuck with 3 problems....... :(

Skype should be in the Software Center, try searching for it there first. If not you can get it here:

http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-linux/

Select your version of Ubuntu from the dropdown menu and download the .deb file. You should then be able to open the .deb file with the software center, and install it from there.
    Hope this helps

Beans
    Distro

1. Never come across that before, sorry. It's always just worked for me with the default Pulseaudio system.

2. Open them with your web browser. Seriously, it works.

3. http://www.skype.com/en/download-sky...-for-computer/ and choose "Ubuntu 12.04 (multiarch)".

When it has downloaded, double-click its icon on your desktop and it will open Ubuntu Software Center. CLick Install, type your password, wait a few moments and it will install.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 25tom View Post
    Skype should be in the Software Center, try searching for it there first. If not you can get it here:

http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-linux/

Select your version of Ubuntu from the dropdown menu and download the .deb file. You should then be able to open the .deb file with the software center, and install it from there.
    Hope this helps
    Thanks... a lot it works ....

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    1. Never come across that before, sorry. It's always just worked for me with the default Pulseaudio system.

2. Open them with your web browser. Seriously, it works.

3. http://www.skype.com/en/download-sky...-for-computer/ and choose "Ubuntu 12.04 (multiarch)".

When it has downloaded, double-click its icon on your desktop and it will open Ubuntu Software Center. CLick Install, type your password, wait a few moments and it will install.
    ok I have installed skype, that went smooth .. but am having a tiny problem with my microphone.. dont know why its sounds pretty low... is there any thing i need to fix ??

by the way i knew that i can play my .swf in web browser, but basically i want to play some tutorial so i need to manuver through the timing a lot... so need a player which has some capabilities where i can play with the time manu.

Thanks..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

is this an ordinary video clip? if so try it in vlc or mplayer, might work
    if they don't work, install swftools and see if you can extract assets from the swf file.
    Last edited by Vaphell; April 12th, 2013 at 03:25 AM.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by virus7 View Post
    ok I have installed skype, that went smooth .. but am having a tiny problem with my microphone.. dont know why its sounds pretty low... is there any thing i need to fix ??
    Not sure since I don't use skype but try adjusting the MIC options in alsamixer. Type the alsamixer command in the terminal and use those options to adjust the mic volume/gain etc....
    Code:
    alsamixer

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
    Not sure since I don't use skype but try adjusting the MIC options in alsamixer. Type the alsamixer command in the terminal and use those options to adjust the mic volume/gain etc....
    Code:
    alsamixer
    when i go to alsamixer i can only see 3 options : Headphone, Speaker, PCM but couldnt find any Mic option

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

(This may be a dumb reply)

Have you tried pressing left and right arrow keys? mine has a lot of options including front mic, rear mic etc.

Beans

I want to play .swf format files,

Download and install VLC and it will play almost everything that you through at it.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-vl...2-0411-10.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast