Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 not connecting to wired ethernet

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 not connecting to wired ethernet

I just installed Ubuntu 12.04.02 alongside my Vista (didn't use wubi). On booting up, I configured my wired internet connection. It doesn't use DHCP, and uses a static private IP (given by my ISP) which by the use of NAT is assigned a public IP. I have entered all information like gateway, mask and DNS. Now when I startup Firefox and login to my ISP's router to connect, the internet speed is greatly reduced. My plan is for 256kbps and I get <10kBps. Also, the software center though doesn't show any error, doesn't update or install anything...Please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 not connecting to wired ethernet

Am I correct that you have a modem, but no router? If so, NAT doesn't enter into the equation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

At one time (might still be the case) IPv6 could cause slowdowns.
    Tweaking MTU also sometimes helped.
    (Getting old and rusty.)
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    Am I correct that you have a modem, but no router? If so, NAT doesn't enter into the equation.
    Actually, my ISP just provides a cable to my home, nothing else on my end. Since, my windows installation can access the net pretty well, so I am sure the problem lies with my Ubuntu config. And about the NAT, my ISP gave me a static private IP which gets translated to a public IP when I'm visiting the outside net, so I figured out there must be a NAT at their end.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I think we need a lot more details in order to help you. Actual IP addresses, details of how and what you specified to set up the network connection.

I think you are saying the ISP runs Ethernet into your house. I have never heard of that type of setup. Also, your plan seems very slow.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    I think we need a lot more details in order to help you. Actual IP addresses, details of how and what you specified to set up the network connection.

I think you are saying the ISP runs Ethernet into your house. I have never heard of that type of setup. Also, your plan seems very slow.
    Well, all the details you need are here:
    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/225883