Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is TOR safe to use?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is TOR safe to use?

Tor is an open-source project (BSD license according to Wikipedia), so it's unlikely that any parties have put in some kind of back door, if that's what you're worried about (since the many paranoid, trained eyes looking at it would probably have spotted them).

I'm not qualified to comment on its effectiveness with regards to anonymity.
    Last edited by evilsoup; April 11th, 2013 at 10:13 PM.

Beans

To follow on from Evilsoup's postings Tor comments upon backdoors https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#Backdoor and license https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.gi...HEAD;f=LICENSE are available for all to study and reach an informed decision on Tor related topics.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Great explanation of how it works, and where it isn't safe: HTG Explains: Is Tor Really Anonymous and Secure?
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Although the subject of TOR is not without political and legal implications, please remember that the Forume CoC proscribes political discussion.
    I'm happy with Tor, I use the standalone browser, it's better than whatever is out there.

Beans

Thanks, dodo3773,

You say you don't use/trust tor. Can you say why? Is it just a general distrust of government funded projects or is there something in the source-code that is suspicious, or perhaps another reason. I'm just a computer user, I don't really know how the internet works and so I have to rely on experts (like yourself perhaps?) who can tell me what is safe or not to use.

Beans

Hello elfy,

Why have you moved this discussion on security to The Cafe? I'm new here and it does not seem appropriate to move a security thread to The Cafe.

paul

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by paulxx View Post
    From that wiki link it seems that Tor is mostly funded by the US government.
    Your point is...? It's developed by many people from different backgrounds (universities, volunteers, researchers, etc.) so there are lots of eyes on it all the time. It's also funded from many other sources including private organizations. If there was any hanky panky going on anyone could blow the whistle at anytime given the transparent nature and open source code. The answer is yes, it's "safe" to use Tor as long as you understand what it does and how to use it.

Beans

Thanks Dragonbite, that link has made things clearer for me. It seems that any problems would be associated with "exit nodes" being owned by governments/dodgy individuals.

paul

Beans

Hello lukeiamyourfather,

My point is inherent in the thread question, it is about whether government-sponsored things can always be trusted. Some people think the government always acts in their interests, others do not. I belong to the latter category and as I have no expertise in computer-related/internet matters I came here to ask the experts for advice.

It seems that the majority think that TOR is trustworthy. The point you make about "many eyes watching the open-source code" is a good one and one I find reassuring, so thanks for that.

paul

Beans

Paul,
    if you wish to hide your isp address then as others have suggested a proxy may be all you require and the youtube tutorial by NixiePixel entitled Howto - Hide Your IP Address may well meet all of your needs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast