Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Clonezilla Failed To Clone 1TB To WD HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Clonezilla Failed To Clone 1TB To WD HDD

Hello,

I tried to repair the file system and found no errors. Also, I purchased a different cloning kit from Apricorn (SATA ONLY) and Clonezilla got a little farther along this tine. This time it found the Linux partition sdc5 on the destination drive and failed just before completing the copy. I then used the software that came with the cloning kit "EZ GIG IV." It copied all the partitions with a sector by sector copy; but both the Windows & Ubuntu partitions reported drive errors such as not finding the drive, drive not ready, and the TMP folder not found. I'm also getting drive not ready errors intermitantly on the source drive, but only in Ubuntu, not Windows.

What can I do next?

Thanks Hannibal
    I love it when a plan comes together. It keeps me "on the jazz."

Ubuntu Quantum 31.10.03 & Windows 10000 on Dell Inspiron 55200 Infinite-Core
    dual-boot system. 'Kill Bill XIV!'

Beans
    Distro

Bump.

Beans
    Hidden!

Let us start from the beginning.

1. Please check that your RAM is completely reliable: Run memtest (on of the choices on the grub menu) overnight! One single error during the whole night is too much.

2. Check the S.M.A.R.T. information, that both HDDs are healthy.

3. Please run following commands now for both drives, the source and the target and post the output.

Code:
    sudo parted -l
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    - wait -

4. I will try to see, if all the partitions in the source drive can be fit into the target drive. If the drives seem to be reasonably similar, I will probably suggest that you use dd to clone. It is one of the advanced options of Clonezilla, but you have so bad experiences with that program, that I suggest that you run dd from an Ubuntu install CD/DVD/USB drive instead.

The dd method is slower than Clonezilla, and you need to be very careful and triple check that there is no typing error. The margin between miracle and catastrophe is very narrow. If dd does not work, I think there is probably something wrong with the hardware, for example bad sectors or failing electronics in one of the drives (or the drives are too different, but it is less probable).

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: Clonezilla Failed To Clone 1TB To WD HDD

More Info,

Please see the attachments for the output of "sudo parted -l" and "sudo fdisk -lu.

Also, what is S.M.A.R.T. information and how do I get it?

Thanks Hannibal
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

S.M.A.R.T. information is collected by the built-in systems of modern HDDs. A summary can often be seen in a BIOS setup menu.

You can also see it with smartctl that is installed with the package smartmontools
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install smartmontools
    See
    Code:
    man smartctl
    There are examples near the end of the manual. For example
    Code:
    sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdb
    Code:
           sudo smartctl -t long /dev/hdc
           Begin an extended self-test of drive /dev/hdc.  You can issue this command on a running system.
           The results can be seen in the self-test log visible with the ´-l selftest´ option after it has
           completed.

Beans
    Hidden!

Check that the last partition is within the drive (from the output of fdisk -lu)
    1953523711*512=
    1000204140032 which is smaller than

This partition table is OK, as far as I can see from both outputs. Which drive is it, the source or target in the cloning process? (I guess the source.)

What size is the target drive? Please post the corresponding output of
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    for the other drive!

The problem might be that the extended partition's end as well as the swap partition's end will be outside the target drive.
    Last edited by sudodus; May 5th, 2013 at 09:12 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coljohnhannibalsmith View Post
    More Info,

Please see the attachments for the output of "sudo parted -l" and "sudo fdisk -lu.

Also, what is S.M.A.R.T. information and how do I get it?

Thanks Hannibal
    The problem is AF drive technology verses legacy 512e vereses 512 do a tootle search on AF drives

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234