Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux and Silverlight?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Linux and Silverlight?

I live in a conservation property that will not allow Sat Dishes. Terrestrial TV is all we have ... No cable like Virgin Media.
    My OS is Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 64 bit and I was advised to download Novell-Moonlight as a linux replacement for Silverlight which is necessary to run "Now TV". I tried Google Chrome Browser and Chromium with Novell Moonlight, neither of them work and I still get asked to install Silverlight. I have read that Silverlight does not support Linux and seen lots of frustrated complaints about the inability to get Silverlight / Moonlight working in Linux. The question is, has anyone ever got Moonlight to work? Perhaps I'm using the wrong Browser and that may be my problem or is there another way that will work?

Any help on this would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Linux and Silverlight?

Thread moved to the "Other OS/Distro Support" forum.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you

Beans

You're welcome.

I don't rate your chances of getting a positive outcome for your query, although I don't use Mint I do use (at least, for a few more weeks) sky tv services and Sky Go can't be persuaded to work, I'd expect that NowTV would be similar.

Sadly, your best chance is probably going to be a virtual machine.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I was considering a VM but thought I should investigate other avenues first ... I'll make a start with Virtual Box and see where I go from there

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro

I believe Silverlight has been abandoned by Microsoft as almost nobody developed anything with it. Moonlight development stopped in 2011 too. I never got anything to work in Moonlight, in my extremely limited testing.

Sorry it doesn't help you. There might be alternatives for TV-watching that you could try?
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I suspect you'd need to do something like has been done with Netflix. Unfortunately, the solution linked to below requires a custom version of WINE plus a dedicated app.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/ope...untu-1210/4019

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    I believe Silverlight has been abandoned by Microsoft as almost nobody developed anything with it. Moonlight development stopped in 2011 too.
    Hmm, last release of Moonlight appears to have been only a few weeks ago.

No matter in this case, it aint gonna work

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    I believe Silverlight has been abandoned by Microsoft as almost nobody developed anything with it. Moonlight development stopped in 2011 too. I never got anything to work in Moonlight, in my extremely limited testing.

Sorry it doesn't help you. There might be alternatives for TV-watching that you could try?
    Yep! I tried Moonlight and it was rejected by Now TV ... It has to be the most up-to-date Silverlight to function.

Beans
    Distro

One thing to try is to install netflix-desktop and run firefox.exe with the following command:

Code:
    export WINEPREFIX="/home/jawilljr/.wine-browser";/opt/wine-compholio/bin/wine ~/.wine-browser/drive_c/Program\ Files/Mozilla\ Firefox/firefox.exe
    Change "/home/jawilljr" with your user name.

The above command works with this test video.

Hope it works.

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast