Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A simple way to connect to Ethernet from the command line?

Beans

Re: A simple way to connect to Ethernet from the command line?

I've had to take a photo of the output from:

grep ".*[0-9] remove" /var/log/dpkg.log

I've got a nasty feeling about it. This is only the last bit of it. shift+PgUp doesn't even let me get to the top of it. Let me know if you need more:

Last edited by dancapp; April 11th, 2013 at 07:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

First.

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:24:8c:91:0c:0e
    inet addr:127.0.0.0 Bcast:127.255.255.255 Mask: 255.0.0.0
    I'm surprised about your IP address being reported as 127.0.0.0.

Do you still have network manager running ?

Code:
    service network-manager status
    Maybe your using IPv6. I don't know much about that so you have pointed out something i must read up on.

Anyway, you have connectivity to the outside world so that is good.

Can you post the output of

Code:
    route
    Second.

Wow ! That's a lot of packages removed there ! What on earth happened ?

Before we do anything, can i take a look at you sources please.

From the terminal,

Code:
    grep "^[^#]" /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}
    Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; April 11th, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

service network-manager status
    network-manager start/running

route
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination..................Gateway.............. ..Genmask.............Flags.............Metric.... ........Ref........Use...........Iface
    default.........................BTHomeHub......... .0.0.0.0.................UG................0...... ..............0...........0...............eth0
    192.168.1.0..................*.................... .......255.255.255.0......U...................0... ................0............0..............eth0

Here's the output of:

grep "^[^#]" /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}

(as much as I can capture)

As for the deletion of packages, I didn't realise I'd done it but I think I know why. Some steps I followed before posting this thread told me that I might not be able to install policykit because I had too many PPAs, so I followed steps to delete all but the essential ones from my 'sources.list' file. I thought it was just delete the sources but perhaps it deleted all of the packages drawn from those sources? If not then I have no idea why.

Thanks again for the help.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

You have lost half your packages required for a functioning desktop ! It is possible they have been downgraded but i doubt it.

Amongst other useful packages you have lost udisks, consolekit, policykit, upower and the list goes on and on.

You are mixing PPA's from Lucid and Precise and, i expect, other releases. I think this is why you have the problems you have. It's hard to be 100% sure as i cannot see all the text output from the photo.

But anyway, please don't do this again or you may have the same problems in the future. Use PPAs for the release you are running and don't mix and match from different releases.

Disable all PPAs before dist upgrading and make sure when you re-enable them, they are pointing to the new release (if it's available).

From this point, you have two choices - the easy way and the hard way.

The easy way is to backup your data and reinstall.

The hard way all to remove all the the packages from Lucid and other release that do not match your current release. You can then try to reinstall all the packages for precise. This option should be doable if you so choose but i expect it will not be quick. It will also depend on your technical ability.

What would you like to do ?

Sorry to put it like that. I'm just being honest about what i think is the state of your install. As i said, it would be useful to see all the text from the sources.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; April 11th, 2013 at 09:03 PM.

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans

Hi Matt. My bad feeling was correct then.
    I think I also have Jaunty on there. The instructions I followed when I did this told me to add old stable Ubuntu PPAs to my sources.list but thinking about it I misinterpreted this and ended up mixingh sources.

I'm happy to reinstall so long as I can back up my documents. It'd be great if I could also backup bookmarks, preferences etc but if not it's not the end of the World. I have an external USB drive, or would I create a partition for the backup files?

Beans
    Distro

Hi

I would boot into a LiveCD/USB and copy the entire contents of your home directory to the external USB drive.

After that you can you can copy back your files and bookmarks and saved e-mails (etc) onto your new install.

If you want pointers for that then post back. I can help tomorrow.

Kind regards

Beans

Many thanks for all your help Matt. It really is appreciated (and I hope this thread might help others who end up with similar problems). I'll post back here to confirm the successful reinstall.

Beans

Matt. The only problem I've got now is that viewing from within my live Kubuntu CD, my .mozilla file from my existing Ubuntu install is blank and contains no bookmark info. A quick web search suggests I need to manually export my bookmarks from Firefox, but how can I do that if I can't load my existing Ubuntu GUI?Hope that makes sense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12