Thread: lossless image with GIMP?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

lossless image with GIMP?

I remember a good while ago that manipulating png images resulted in a lower quality image than doing the same in Photoshop 7. Foremost the pixels within a transparent region got worse. I had numbers there which were hardly readable anymore.
    I've heard that in 2.8 there were improvements in that direction but wonder if I should try again?
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: lossless image with GIMP?

When you export to png, GIMP offers a variety of quality options. I've found setting compression to zero or one makes a big difference when it comes to text.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: lossless image with GIMP?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCyber View Post
    I remember a good while ago that manipulating png images resulted in a lower quality image than doing the same in Photoshop 7. Foremost the pixels within a transparent region got worse. I had numbers there which were hardly readable anymore.
    I've heard that in 2.8 there were improvements in that direction but wonder if I should try again?
    Thanks
    Hi MikeCyber
    I do recall (vaguely) the issue you are referring to, which I encountered quite a few years ago. To be honest, I have not considered this problem since at least gimp 2.6. I can't say for certain that it no longer exists as I don't have photoshop to compare results with, but I currently do not notice any particular image degradation (other than what would be expected) from using transform tools on multi-layer images with transparency. The issue might have related to poor anti-aliasing in older versions of the GIMP, this might be one of the reasons why rendering of the canvas was ported to CAIRO from version 2.6.