Thread: Adding printer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Adding printer

I just insalled 13.04 this morning. I tried to add my printer using the printer applet in settings. It finds my printer and when I click add, the applet just closes. No printer added. I tried to use the web interface and I can't log in for adming purposes. No user or password combination will work. Any ideas on where to start?
    Last edited by jallain; April 12th, 2013 at 08:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Adding printer

My bad. I left out the most important part of the equation. I installed the Gnome version of Ringtail. I tried the Unity version and printer applet works just fine. It's just the gnome version where I cannot add a printer. The printer applet just disappears when I select my printer. If it matters, the printer is wireless. The applet does find it but does not install it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I find the printer app in both Unity & Gnome Shell lacking. As good fortune would have it, the old style app still works. I use Synaptic but software center should work as well. Look for this app: system-config-printer. Install if necessary then run from either a 'run box' (alt-f2) or terminal. The older app tells me more and lets me configure more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thank you! A most excellent solution. That's the only show stopper I found for installing it. Thanks again...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Had the same problem in Gnome but added HPLIP as I have an HP printer - printer appeared in "Add printer" immediately