Thread: 10.04 server crash, boot fail, now warnings "grub-probe: sending ioctl 1261 to a part

Beans
    Hidden!

10.04 server crash, boot fail, now warnings "grub-probe: sending ioctl 1261 to a part

I have a Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid server that has been running just great for around 2 years. A few nights ago it crashed during a rsync backup of a database to another server. After the crash it would not reboot, just hang at initramfs prompt. I fixed this by booting a live CD and ran fsck on the root file system of the HD. After the fsck (which did a lot of corrections) it now boots normally. I also downloaded Seagate's super-duper disk repair tool and did a 5-hour scan/fix-all on the SATA hard disk. It passed that and numerous other disk tests.

Now the system is booting fine and appears to be running fine except I now see a bunch of these warnings in /var/log/messages:

grub-probe: sending ioctl 1261 to a partition!

I have Googled for a solution but its one of those that others have had but no one seems to have a clear indication or fix.

I would like to build a new kernel just for assurance. Is there an easy how-to to simply build a new generic kernel? I could swear I've done it before but I'm getting old.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 10.04 server crash, boot fail, now warnings "grub-probe: sending ioctl 1261 to a

Update: I found an easy way to upgrade the kernel to latest, with command:
    apt-get install linux-image-2.6.38-12-generic

That upgraded my kernel from 32-46 to 38-12 and appears to have stopped the grub-probe errors mentioned above. It seems to boot faster too.

Beans

Re: 10.04 server crash, boot fail, now warnings "grub-probe: sending ioctl 1261 to a

Glad you could repair the system. But it must have been a hard crash. What filesystem do you use ?
    I have had crashes also , but never so severe.

Beans
    Hidden!

It is an ext4 filesystem on a dual-boot Windows, although Windows is never used.

Beans

I did a quck scan on the net, and it seems to be a bug in the kernel 3.2.* ( not sure which ) but it would not be harmfull.
    My idea , it is also related to ext4, the messages seems only to arise in that combination.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

A kernel of version 3.2.* would indicate Buntu 12.04. You are probably reading the wrong bug report.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

If this is realy another error then that one of grub-probe, then I would suggest a fsck from the disks.
    I would go for : sudo touch /forcefsck

Then a reboot ofcource.
    Last edited by kuifje09; April 10th, 2013 at 09:54 PM.