Thread: Intel motherboards?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Intel motherboards?

Hi all!

So, after a good 5 or so years, my DFI Blood Iron P35T2RL finally died on me . I'm in the market for a new socket LGA775 motherboard...

I thought it'd be as simple as hopping on Amazon, or Ebuyer, or Scan, but nothing I've seen encourages me.

It seems completely wasteful to scrap the processor (Core 2 Quad Q6600, I've managed to overclock it to 3.2GHz!), but the DDR2 RAM has been recycled into another PC. DDR3 seems to have taken off - and considering the speed increases/energy savings it seemed stupid to stick with the DDR2. The only reason I'm sticking with the rest of the build at all is because of my processor, I'm reluctant to a) spend money when the hardware is perfectly usable still b) give up the high performance it's given.

I'm basically asking if anyone has any motherboard models they could (1) recommend (because it's served them well, because it's good for overclocking, because it's rock solid stable etc) and (2) source (since that seems to be the problem with the big hardware retailers, wanting to move people to the newer hardware).

Bar the need for overclockability and DDR3, all I need in the way of features is RAID0 support and a minimum of 3 SATA slots (2xhard drive, plus DVD drive). Oh, and a PCI-E slot for the graphics card (Nvidia 9800GTX), but that seems to be standard in most modern motherboards anyway. You can't go wrong with having plenty of USB ports, too, and USB 3 support would be nice, but this isn't as essential.

Since the system is making use of old hardware, there's obviously an impetus not to break the bank...since spending much over £50 (plus another £50 for RAM) would beg the question "Why not just build anew?".

I understand the wishlist is fairly stringent, so if anyone thinks I'm asking too much... just what is unrealistic would be useful information to have too.

Questions, comments, queries and feedback welcome. Go!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Intel motherboards?

Hi!

I love to use old hardware when I can.

Take a look at geeks.com. Although they may not ship to your location, you might be able to use their site to research whatever motherboards they happen to have in stock.

I recently bought a Socket 775 for an old Core 2 Duo. I used the old DDR2 RAM (4GB) and CPU. This one has 6 SATA Rev. 2 headers and RAID (but I don't remember the level available). Gigabit ethernet. It even has a PCI-e x16 slot!

I believe it was about US$35.

Best wishes!

QIII
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I used a Biostar TP35D2-A7 in a family member's build, and it was a good board (OC'd nicely too). Good luck finding one though..
    Your choice is fairly limited. Here's one: http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch...X#.UWR3C6Yi4fw

If it was me, I'd look at selling the Q6600 since it would be a nice upgrade for those with slower chips.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hey, I normally use newegg.com for most of my hardware needs. Though I think QIII's suggestion of geeks.com would be best, since newegg tends to move on to newer hardware pretty quick.
    Cheers!
    Phenom II X4 955 Denab BE OC 3.8mhz | 8gig G.Skill 1600 RAM | Corsair 750 PSU | XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 x2 | 1TB WD Black HDD Win7 | 160gig WD HDD Ubuntu 13.10
    --Feel like your question has been answered, mark as SOLVED!

Beans
    Distro

Hey all.

Just checking in.

What everyone seems to be saying is what I'd already found out through my own searches, and it's a little disappointing. .

Being in the UK, I'm a little hesitant about buying from Geeks.com (mainly due to the fact that there's a currency issue, greater possibility of it breaking in transit, and the product being harder to return). I'll review Amazon again, and Scan, but I think Ebuyer is my best bet at this stage.

That Biostar motherboard is DDR2, btw. Assuming I found the right one on their website.

Beans
    Distro

Oh - just so people can see what's available and help choose from the limited options I do have...

http://www.ebuyer.com/231358-gigabyt...-ga-g41m-combo

http://www.ebuyer.com/389279-asrock-...-g41m-vs3-r2-0

The first one is the only one with 4 DIMM slots, annoyingly. But it's also the one with the "Combo" tag - meaning it's DDR2 and DDR3. Surely this would mean that putting any DDR3 memory into it would be pointless - you might see a drop in the amount of voltage needed but none of the speed improvements (since it's all regulated by one of the values on the processor...I think it's the FSB? Correct if wrong).
    Last edited by ArminasAnarchy; April 17th, 2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Removed 2nd and 3rd links, since the motherboards only have DDR2 DIMM slots.