Thread: Connect to Motorola RAZR HD?

Hybrid View

Beans

Connect to Motorola RAZR HD?

I am having trouble connecting my new driod (Moto RAZR HD with Jelly Bean) to Ubuntu 12.10 with the USB. When I connect the device it is not recognized properly, its recognized as device manager. I ran the installer and it seemed to install but no program shows up in Dash. Searched Google and got nothing. I dont know what I am doing wrong here; Has anyone delt with this?
    Last edited by nycap; April 9th, 2013 at 02:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Connect to Motorola RAZR HD?

Android 3 and Android 4 devices don't mount on Ubuntu 12.10 and below without some hacking around.

I couldn't get it to work even with the hacking around. Installing Windows software in Wine will not help.

In the end, I downloaded a program onto the Nexus that sets up an FTP server. I connected my Nexus to my wifi network, and used the Ubuntu computer to access the FTP server running on the Nexus (File > Connect to Server... in Nautilus). This works pretty well.

Alternatively, I've heard that Ubuntu 13.04 fixes the problems with MTP support and will mount Android 3.x and 4.x devices out-of-the-box.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Alternatively, I've heard that Ubuntu 13.04 fixes the problems with MTP support and will mount Android 3.x and 4.x devices out-of-the-box.
    Hopefully this is an upstream improvement as well... I have tried many, many times to get my Android phone to mount in numerous Linux systems with zero success.

Beans

At this point in time, it is impossible to connect the Motorola RAZR HD / HD MAXX to Linux via USB. The reason is that Motorola does not provide drivers for these models in linux. I have contacted them about this, and they said they do not plan to provide drivers for linux in the future, either - which a dirty shame... especially, considering the android is linux-based. For now, our options are to use Windows or Mac, or (as 3rdalbum, suggested, using an ftp client to copy files.

Beans

I've accidentally found a way to connect my razr m (xt905) to ubuntu 13/04 !
    After reading this topic I tried to connect via VirtualBox.
    Razr appear to OS like two USB devices, and when I added one of them to VBox permissions, the other popped up in Ubuntu =) I can browse both of phone's SD's

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox/USB
    "Devices Mounted in Guest OS will likely be unavailable in Host OS"

So you have to block someway the first device to get access to SD

Proof pic included

pic.png

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I know this is a few months old but all you need to do is put your phone into usb debugging mode.

Beans

Hello everyone, I realize this is an old thread. With OSs previous to 13.04 without MTP support for individuals that are looking for a way to down load images from their Droids this worked very well. First thing is get a new micro USB charge/sync cable. I have many and found bad contacts to be a major problem. On multiple previous versions, 10.04, 10.10 and on when you mount your droid via USB, there a pop up stating "Media Device", meaning MTP. Change connect as on droid to Camera (PTP), drag sreen down on droid to see USB connect appt, touch and you can change connection from MTP to PTP, and open with Gwenview. List will start with "camera:>USB PTP Class Camera" this brings up a folder "store_00010001" open and string will be "camera:>USB PTP Class Camera>USB PTP Class Camera" open DCIM file and then camera and all images should be available. This, at least, syncs the gallory from the droid.