Thread: How to get Drivers for motherboard

Beans

How to get Drivers for motherboard

So i plan on building a linux gaming machine and ive been wondering how to get drivers for the motherboard that i'm going to be purchasing. I've read most times the standard drivers that are already on the board work fine but i was wondering if this is true or not plus i also heard they're not called drivers they're actually called kernals. I would love a nice big explanation since i am fairly new to linux and would much appreciate an in depth response. The mothernoard i plan on buying is an ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

Beans

Re: How to get Drivers for motherboard

The only additional drivers you might need:
    - LAN
    - WLAN
    - GPU

Only LAN is on that mobo: a Realtek RTL8111E. Realtek is normally supported by the kernel, and no need for additional drivers

HTH

Beans

Ok thanks so i only need drivers for the LAN. I should be able to get those right from Realteks site right becuase i know ASrock doesn't give out linux drivers right now. And i have a graphics card right now that's Nvidia do you know any common problems that i might want to look out for with Nvidia cards?

Beans

My guess is that you do NOT need separate drivers for your LAN; I expect it to work with a standard Ubuntu Linux kernel.

Easy way: live-boot a Ubuntu CD/USB-key on the system, and see if it all works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Go to the following link to look for RealTek LAN Linux drivers:

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/dow...etDown=false#2
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.