Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot compile Gnofract4d 3.1.3 from source code

Beans

Cannot compile Gnofract4d 3.1.3 from source code

Hi,
    I am new to compiling programs from their source code. I am having a lot of trouble installing Gnofract4d v. 3.1.3. I have installed: libjpeg62-dev, python 3.2-dev, transcode, gcc++, gconf2.0, python-dev.

My current system looks like this:

Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic (i686)
    C Library: unknown
    Default C compiler: Gnu C compiler v. 4.7.2
    Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
    DE: MATE
    Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 250 x2 (dual core), 3000.00MHz
    Memory: 3.9 GB

The error I get is when I try to extract from the tarball. I have tried "tar xzvf gnofract4d-3.1.3.tar.gz cd gnofract4d-3.1.3 ./setup.py build. It complained. It didn't like it. I have tried creating the folder gnofract4d in /usr/share, and extracting as admin. It complained again. This is what I get when I try either of these methods:

jennifer@HAL ~ $ sudo tar xzvf gnofract4d-3.1.3.tar.gz
    [sudo] password for jennifer:
    tar (child): gnofract4d-3.1.3.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    jennifer@HAL ~ $ cd Downloads
    jennifer@HAL ~/Downloads $ tar xzvf gnofract4d-3.1.3.tar.gz
    tar (child): gnofract4d-3.1.3.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    jennifer@HAL ~/Downloads $

If someone what I am doing wrong, I would greatly appreciate your help as this is becoming very frustrating.

Thanks,
    MorningLemon

Beans

Re: Cannot compile Gnofract4d 3.1.3 from source code

Are you sure the file you downloaded is gnofract4d-3.1.3.tar.gz not gnofract4d-3.13.tar.gz? (the latest version on their sourceforge site is 3.14.1)

You can use tab completion in the shell i.e. type

Code:
    cd ~/Downloads
    tar xzvf gnof
    and then press the TAB key to show you what actual gnof... files are in the directory - much easier than typing the exact version

In any case, any particular reason you are trying to install it from source? there appear to be deb packages on their sourceforge site e.g.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnof...ofract4d/3.13/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    Are you sure the file you downloaded is gnofract4d-3.1.3.tar.gz not gnofract4d-3.13.tar.gz? (the latest version on their sourceforge site is 3.14.1)

You can use tab completion in the shell i.e. type

Code:
    cd ~/Downloads
    tar xzvf gnof
    and then press the TAB key to show you what actual gnof... files are in the directory - much easier than typing the exact version

In any case, any particular reason you are trying to install it from source? there appear to be deb packages on their sourceforge site e.g.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnof...ofract4d/3.13/

I have tried the 3.14.1, but it is a .deb file, and I get the error message that I have the wrong architecture. It says (paraphrasing) Wrong architecture: AMD 64. I've tried all the .deb files. That would be why I am compiling from source. I had a .deb file that looked promising but Gdebi installer would not allow me to install even though I have every dependency I can think of or have come across. I will give your suggestion a try and see what happens.

Thanks,
    MorningLemon

Beans

since your system is 32 bit (i686) you would need the i386 deb not the AMD 64 deb

Beans

It is package 3.13. Good call. I had not noticed that.

Thanks

Beans

Good point. I think I tried the l386 .deb, and that was the one that didn't have dependencies or architectural issues, but Gdebi wouldn't allow an install. The Install button stayed gray and flat (if that makes sense.) I clicked, and no click. So, that's when I decided to try compiling. I will get it especially with help

Thank you,
    MorningLemon

Beans
    Hidden!

Instead of gdebi, try to installl the i386.deb in terminal with
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i gnofract*i386.deb
    Even if this doesn't work, it will give you a comprehensible error message, so that you will get a clue why it cannot be installed, and what else must be installed in order to satisfy dependencies. E.g. on my system it gives:
    Code:
    gnofract4d depends on python (<< 2.7); however:
      Version of python on system is 2.7.3-4.
    This means it needs an older python version than I have installed. Actually, after looking at the source, I can say that it will work with python 2.7 just fine, all you need is to rebuild the package. The source already contains debian directory, so building a new deb package from it shouldn't be a problem.

Update
    Well, the debian packaging of gnofract4d is an awful hack. I've fixed it and uploaded the deb source here. You can try to download .dsc and .debian.tar.xz files from there, put them into a folder, then in the same folder
    Code:
    pkg=gnofract4d ver=3.14.1
    wget -O ${pkg}_$ver.orig.tar.bz2 http://sourceforge.net/projects/$pkg/files/$pkg/$ver/$pkg-$ver.tar.bz2/download
    dpkg-source -x ${pkg}_$ver-1.dsc
    cd $pkg-$ver
    sudo apt-get install build-essential debhelper devscripts python-all-dev lib{png12,gconf2,jpeg8}-dev
    dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -b
    sudo debi
    Last edited by schragge; March 7th, 2014 at 10:23 AM. Reason: updated build-dependency, thx @co6aka2

Beans

This is the error message I get when I run sudo dpkg......

galaxybounce@HAL ~ $ sudo dpkg -i gnofract*i386.deb
    dpkg: error processing gnofract*i386.deb (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    gnofract*i386.deb

Beans
    Hidden!

This means the .deb file is not in your home directory. If you downloaded it with web browser, it's probably in ~/Downloads:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/gnofract*i386.deb

Beans

Yep, figured that one out on my own I thin your script is going to work. Thank you for your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast