Thread: Too smart in 'general forum' to answer so I try here....

Beans

Too smart in 'general forum' to answer so I try here....

I have an app which does not have an install... (an archived folder structure)... my NEWBIE (and proud of it thanx) question is...

where is the best place to place this app's folder structure?

I tried asking in the general support sub-forum but alas they is far too smart to offer any replies. I know, this is a real lame question..
    But comming off over twenty years of WinBlows, I gotta start all over.

so, there it be...

Thanks for any help offered...

Yannos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Too smart in 'general forum' to answer so I try here....

If there's no installer, you can just leave it in your home folder and run it from there.

If you want it to be accessible by other users on the same computer, you can put the whole folder into /opt.

Either way, you can add a "menu item" to it by using the Main Menu utility in Ubuntu, which will then allow the program to appear in the Dash, and you can add it to the Launcher in this way too.

But to answer your precise question, if it doesn't install itself to anywhere, then it can go anywhere. It'll happily sit wherever you put it, including your home folder or Desktop folder. If there was a "best" place to put it, then the program would have had an installer to put itself there.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Yes, this is what I was looking for... thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread Closed

... and solved. The information given on this thread was/is given in the other thread previously. Please do not post duplicate threads. It dilutes community effort and your chances of getting help. Also, use descriptive thread titles. This one gives no information about your issue. Thanks.