Thread: Laptop with Hybrid SSD

Beans

Laptop with Hybrid SSD

Hey,

I have a Laptop with 2*750 gb hard drives. It also has a SanDisk iSSD P4.

This is used as a cache in Windows. I was hoping to install Ubuntu onto this SSD.
    This SSD is only 8gb in size.

I tried different methods, such as installing only the "/" onto the SSD and the rest onto main hard drive. But it would not work.

When booting from a live ubuntu disk, the SSD drive is visible. It is also visible in windows under the partitioning options.

However, it is not visible in the BIOS, so i cannot boot from the device.
    And as I said, after installing previously, it seems that the boot loader did not work as I was told that there is no operating system installed on the laptop.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Laptop with Hybrid SSD

you may be able to put the mbr on the hdd and have it boot the ssd with / on it
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Laptop with Hybrid SSD

Is it SSD [Solid State Drive] or SD [Secure Digital]? BIOS won't boot SD cards. You can try putting GRUB boot-loader on HDD and Ubuntu on the card and try, like suggested in post #2.

If its SSD and Hybrid then there may be RAID and/or Intel SRT on the system. Please confirm. Either can cause kind of issues you are having.
    Last edited by fantab; April 8th, 2013 at 10:35 AM.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."