Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox "print to file" cannot choose target folder.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Firefox "print to file" cannot choose target folder.

Try print something from Firefox with "print to file", no matter which destination is chosen to print to (say Desktop) the output always end up in Home/username.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Firefox "print to file" cannot choose target folder.

I'm running Firefox20 and I also get an error message: "Can't select target directory." But, it did leave a PDF in the correct directory. So I don't know if this is a CUPS bug a Firefox bug.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

This happens only in Firefox20's Raring buid (in Precise no problem). Just tested with Chrome and there is no problem choosing target directoty.

Beans

I have just tested this again and still cannot choose directory to print to.

Beans

Try PrintPDF instead. Works fine

Beans

As per comment 2 while it says it can't choose target folder *while printing* it actually does so to whatever folder was chosen

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    As per comment 2 while it says it can't choose target folder *while printing* it actually does so to whatever folder was chosen
    Which printer? If you use 'PDF' (with cups-pdf) then it always cannot choose output folder. But with 'print to file" you should be able to. I didn't see any "can't select directory" message but the box for the output destiny is blank (rather than with default say usrname) and whatever I choose from the box I end up always printing to Home/username

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    Open a webpage and choose Print/Print to file. In the "Save in Folder" box choose "Other". Select your folder and give your file a name. It should print in the correct folder. You may see a message that says "Firefox can't use selected folder" but it will print to the selected folder anyway. At least that how mine Firefox 20 works.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Which printer? If you use 'PDF' (with cups-pdf) then it always cannot choose output folder. But with 'print to file" you should be able to. I didn't see any "can't select directory" message but the box for the output destiny is blank (rather than with default say usrname) and whatever I choose from the box I end up always printing to Home/username
    Well "print to file" which works as described (cups-pdf wasn't mentioned in thread title or OP

As far as cups-pdf (PDF option in print to file
    That seems quite whacked here, there is no output option in the print window. Defaults to ~/PDF here & doesn't respond well to any output changes in
    /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf (checking /var/log/cups/page_log & cups-pdf_log if enabled

Is there something that cups-pdf provides that print to file doesn't? (other than some poor behavior

Edit: or is there a way to use a local conf for cups-pdf?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Is there something that cups-pdf provides that print to file doesn't? (other than some poor behavior
    With cups-pdf you don't have to type the filename (unless you want to enter a different one). Sometimes it is a humbug to always have to type in a filename.

Also with cups-pdf, you always know that your output file will go to the $HOME/PDF folder which can be subsequently moved to another folder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast