Thread: Why Ubuntu stable CD not working?

Beans

Why Ubuntu stable CD not working?

Does anyone know why if I tried to install the stable version of Ubuntu on my Sony laptop the computer doesn't see that there is data on the CD? It thinks it's a blank CD or DVD disk and so I can't install Ubuntu on my laptop. My netbook does work fine and does see that the CD has the package files. I know the CD isn't bad since I tried making another copy and also it works fine on the netbook but not the desktop.

Beans

Re: Why Ubuntu stable CD not working?

I do know my CDROM on my laptop is working since if I tried installing other programs with my CDROM it works fine. Also even when I install games that use DVD disks it works fine. I wonder if others have this same problem when trying to use the stable version of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What machine did you use to burn the disc(s)? I have several Dells that don't seem to write properly (haven't tried reading them from the same machine). I also have some machines that don't want to read CDRW's. Have/can you burn the disk in the laptop? Is the CD big enough? Last time I looked, the image wouldn't fit a CD... but that would fail on the netbook, too.

Have you considered a bootable USB? (most of my machines won't USB-boot)
    Last edited by Iowan; April 8th, 2013 at 12:31 AM.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't know which app you used to burn the disk or where you downloaded the distro from. That being said the distro could have gotten accidentally corrupted during transmission. Or you may have burnt the disk badly or the material just isn't compatible. I have had instances of a disk I burnt that was no good, when I slwoed down the burn it worked fine. I have also had instances where the nedia itself for some reason would not run in my drive. Perfectly brand new media would not be recognised....why I have no idea. But my suggestion would be 3 fold, try to
    1: burn the disk at a very slow rate
    2. change the media
    3 redownload the distro.

I hope this helps you one of them has to work!

John

Beans

Well I used my Sony notebook to burn it. I did even try burning it on a DVD blank disk but it didn't work it only works on the other CDROM that is on my netbook. What's funny is that I tried the latest version and then burned it the same way and it works and can read the files. I wonder if it's the stable version files has problems for some computers and can't read the disk. I know that the stable version can use normal 700mb blank disk but all I know is that even if I used a DVD blank disk and burn it on that it does the same thing. But if I tried to burn the latest Ubuntu version then it displays on the DVD disk. Just kinda strange and I thought maybe others had this problem when trying to load Ubuntu stable version on maybe just Sony notebooks. I used the default program that is on Win 7 to burn it to disk. Basicly it automaticly opens that burning software when I double click on the Ubuntu stable program file.
    Last edited by Dallas2coolio; April 8th, 2013 at 03:22 AM.