Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are you pushed away from the command line?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Are you pushed away from the command line?

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Too many people, though, incorrectly correlate ease of use with fewer options.
    So true. I agree that having too many elements that you don't need in a GUI will make it more difficult to use, the problem is that if the developer decides which elements should go away she might be removing precisely what you need making it worse than "difficult" for you. The best solution, when implemented correctly, is to give options, to allow the user to decide which elements should be present. One example of this is Foobar2000, a music player that unfortunately only exists for Windows. By moving all the non-core functionality to plugins and by allowing the customization of the GUI it manages to be really powerful yet easy to use, because everyone can have everything needed and only what's needed.

Back to topic: Command line is great.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Lightbulb Re: Are you pushed away from the command line?

.. it's easy 2 get Foobar2000 in xUbuntu. PPA @

Edit: I take that back, just spent all night with Wine again and it's (still) useless; Oracle VM, or some other, with CPU virtualization is the (only) way to go.
    Last edited by ka55o5; April 10th, 2013 at 06:07 AM.

Beans

OP hasn't come back to this thread but I came across this:
    On Ubuntu Desktop we want to discourage usage of command line =) as
    there is no need for that for non-developers.
    From https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...il/014390.html
    Users can easily damage their systems by using sudo su if they aren't experienced enough.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    OP hasn't come back to this thread but I came across this:

From https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...il/014390.html
    Well, then devs should stop pushing updates that bork my system and force me into the cli to fix.

Granted, it doesn't happen often, but I don't run any dodgy or pre-release repositories, and I use LTS, and still, updates break my system and there's no way but command line to repair things.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Still use it a bit. Some things are just quicker with a few commands than having to hunt for the right application and then wait for it to load or re-start a massive download because the computer went to sleep because you're eco minded and the app you were using would not re-start the download wasting all that time when wget would have just woken up with the computer.

Beans

I like to have a graphical tool to stuff I seldom do. Like configure something I only do once. But stuff I do every time I use the computer I usually prefer the terminal. The best example is file management. To this the console is perfect. Its easy to learn and very powerful. You can filter, search modify, move, change rights etc way faster and easier than with a file manger.

Beans

I like the command line, because it is simple and not all messy and hard to deal with like all the apps and such. I really appreciate how you can always go back to the command line, and there is usually more functionality with it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It is not like they stop you from using the Terminal. I so no harm whatsoever to make things accessible through the UI, for new and experienced Linux users. I am pretty good with the command line and use it a fair bit, but if a task can easily be done through the UI why not use it, and if you don't want to then still use the terminal.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans

Talking Re: Are you pushed away from the command line?

Using the command line is brilliant, I don't shy away from it when I'm given the chance to use it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234