Thread: Sharing some Ubuntu Server "Server Management" Projects

Threaded View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sharing some Ubuntu Server "Server Management" Projects

Okay... Ubuntu Server (12.04 LTS and newer) on my various test servers. Things have been a bit slow in +1 dev tests and the job market, so...

I was wondering if i could get various vendor server management app's that were meant originally meant for RHEL and hardware dependent ... running on current Ubuntu (12.04LTS, 12.10 and 13.04). Most of my servers are true server hardware but old iron. I have an assortment of HP, GW and IBM Servers. Getting text reports from them was easy- just a few scripts and email alerts. But I got nostalgic and missed my days of graphical dials and gauges monitoring things from a graphical management terminal (25+ years ago). So I started something to challenge my mind and make things interesting.

IBM XSeries 346 server: Get IBM ServeRAID RAID Manager working remotely. Server running Ubuntu Server current editions, managed remotely from Ubuntu Desktop current editions. Got it converted from rhel rpm's. Minimum installed instance of X11 that facilitates the remote ssh connection to run the graphical app locally from the management PC's desktop. (Only loads enough to facilitate the app instance... See attached photo.

HP DL380 G3: HP Server Management Homepage: Integrated HP Health to monitor all health stats of the server, set thresholds, send alerts, etc. Integrated health and ILO logs, ILO management, Files system and storage reports. RAID config and Array diagnostics. In-depth Reports and reporting. Some was converting RHEL RPM's; converting scripts. Converting some RPM source packages to Debian source packages and converting their scripts and C Source to update them for 3.x kernels to create kmods. Others, where finding some HP Debian packages and mixing them in. Configuring a mix of SNMP agents to work together... See attached.

What do you think? Any more ideas? I'm looking for stuff to keep my idle hands busy and engage my mind... I have a few more servers and was wondering if I should add other management app's for them- HP Netserver, 2 GW960's, GW930, GW7400, 4 ASUS server boards, 3 other assorted GW's. Some with LSI hardware Raid and some with mdadm...

Actually, I had this idea I was playing with to remotely manage and report SMART stats, mdadm stats, etc. from a management console from a GUI app... But then I started playing with Zental and got sidetracted. I thought if anything, this is just something to add to my portfolio/resume. LOL.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags