Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista and Ubuntu 10.04 Dual Boot Problem

Beans

Vista and Ubuntu 10.04 Dual Boot Problem

Hey Folks,

I know it's going to seem that I'm posting a question that's already been answered elsewhere, but I've followed several threads here and on other forums, and I've tried suggestions found by searching the web. No luck

My machine was running Vista 7 just fine, but I do a lot of image editing and prefer GIMP, so I installed Ubuntu 10.04 alongside Vista. All was well for a week or so until I got Error 17.

As I understand it, the solution to Error 17 is to reinstall GRUB. I've tried to do this by several methods, all of them similar, but none of them work. The last method I tried comes from Getting Started with Ubuntu by the Ubuntu Manual Team. This method consists of the following series of commands:

$ sudo fdisk -l
    $ sudo mkdir /media/root
    $ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/root
    $ ls /media/root
    $ sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/root /dev/sda

This solution makes good sense to me, but once I get to the mount command a message tells me the file type must be specified. The command 'file /dev/sda5' (sda5 corresponds to my Linux device) returns something like 'block special (8/5)', which is not what the command line commands.

Any suggestions?

By the way, I know from the output of the first command (sudo fdisk -l) that my machine is booting to the Vista device.

Thanks in advance,
    cobras
    Last edited by cobras; April 13th, 2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: misspelling

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Vista and Ubuntu 10.04 Dual Boot Problem

Error 17 is from grub legacy, grub2 does not use error numbers. So your 10.04 is an upgrade? Or did you install grub legacy manually as 10.04's default was grub2 unless you upgraded.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p15.html#17

If system was working and you get this error, it may be corruption and you need to run fsck?

#From liveCD so everything is unmounted,swap off if necessary, change example shown with partition sdb1 to your partition(s)
    #e2fsck is used to check the ext2/ext3/ext4 family of file systems. -p trys fixes where response not required
    sudo e2fsck -C0 -p -f -v /dev/sdb1
    #if errors: -y auto answers yes for fixes needing response see man e2fsck
    sudo e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sdb1

You can use this tool, but it does not fix grub legacy, but will offer to upgrade to grub2. Otherwise just post link to its BootInfo report.

Post the link to the BootInfo report that this creates. Is part of Boot-Repair:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
    Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration and diagnose advanced problems.
    Install in Ubuntu liveCD or USB or Full RepairCD with Boot-Repair (for newer computers)
    http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Error 17 is from grub legacy, grub2 does not use error numbers. So your 10.04 is an upgrade? Or did you install grub legacy manually as 10.04's default was grub2 unless you upgraded.
    Good question. I installed 8.04 and updated completely before upgrading to 10,04. 10.04 was fully updated when it started acting up. Is it possible that one of these updates included an upgrade of GRUB? I ask because your suggestion 'sudo e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sdb1' managed to patch up my system enough that it now boots up - though it clearly still has issues. No offer to upgrade GRUB.

I'll report back as I get time to investigate further.

Thanks,
    cobras

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you are happy with grub legacy, I would not necessarily change.

The main reason for grub2, was that legacy has not been maintained for years. Ubuntu had to modify its version to support booting ext4 partitions. Now with so many new hardware & software changes a new boot loader was required, but it is a large change. I did not like grub2 originally as it was so different & then there was not much documentation. But now that we understand it and they have made many improvements grub2 is better than grub legacy.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

As I last posted, I was able to boot up thanks to oldfred's suggestions, but there were still unsolved issues. There were warnings I couldn't read during boot up (scrolled too fast), and the login screen didn't render properly (it was fragmented).

I decided to upgrade to 12.04 while I still could, hoping the upgrade would fix whatever was broken.

As of today, I'm running 12.04 with no apparent problems, so I'm going to say my problem has been solved, though it would have been great to learn what caused the problem to begin with.

Thank you so much for your help.

cobras

As I last posted, my original problem was never really solved. I simply worked around it by installing 12.04 alongside Windws Vista, and all seemed well. I could run Ubuntu or Vista at will with no problems whatsoever - until yesterday when my system totally crashed.

It wouldn't boot even after going to the library and trying several ubuntu disk versions. Yes, I made sure the cd player was first in the boot order.

After many tries, the machine finally booted, so I reinstalled GRUB (sudo grub-install /dev/sda1), hoping anything boken would get patched up in the process. At this point my machine is at least booting up, but it won't run Vista even though it's still listed on the menu. 'sudo fdisk -l' returns

Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x988b55cf

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *        2048    83148532    41573242+   7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2        83152440   312576704   114712132+   5  Extended
    /dev/sda5        83152503   303162614   110005056   83  Linux
    /dev/sda6       303162678   312576704     4707013+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
    Any suggestions?
    Last edited by howefield; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:32 PM. Reason: added code tags.

Beans

Check the hard drive S.M.A.R.T. health. Install GSmartControl and look at the Attributes tab. Any Attributes highlighted in red or pink? Those are the ones you should be most worried about. If none are highlighted, the drive is probably not failing.
    Last edited by howefield; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:33 PM.

Beans

I did as you suggested ahallubuntu. The drive passed its basic health check and none of its attributes are highlighted.

At this point, I've had so many problems I'm starting to think the machine is infected. Any suggestions on programs that'll root out any bugs, viruses, etc.?

Beans

Yes, it could well be infected. Or the Windows filesystem could have become corrupted. Or an update could have failed or something. Lots of things could cause a Windows installation to fail. The first thing I'd do (after checking the hard drive's S.M.A.R.T., which you've done) is to boot a Windows disc and run chkdsk /f on your Windows partition. Next see if you can boot Vista AT ALL even in Safe Mode. There are a bunch of free scanning tools like Malwarebytes you can run to look for infections.

Here's a question: why do you still need Vista at all? Games? Special software? Consider what you really need Windows for at this point. If you use Windows only for a few things (like say tax software) you could install Windows in a Virtual Machine (e.g. Virtualbox) in Ubuntu and just start that up when you need to do anything Windows-related. That's what I do. I have Windows 7 as a dual-boot on my hard drive with Ubuntu but I haven't booted to it in months. I use the Virtual Machine instead for occasional Windows stuff - it opens like another window in Ubuntu, and when I'm done, just exit Virtualbox and save the state.
    Last edited by howefield; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:33 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post

Here's a question: why do you still need Vista at all?
    I'll try to keep it short.

The hard drive currently on my machine is there because I was having so many problems (Apparantly unresolvable - at one point the person trying to help me with a bug report literally ran out of ideas.) with Ubuntu on the previous drive, that I replaced it. The replacement drive came with Vista installed.

I want Ubuntu to work, so I keep on trying. I kept Vista hoping that if Ubuntu failed again I could revert to the more reliable, stable OS. What I didn't realize was that the dual-boot solution somehow makes Vista dependent on Ubuntu. At this point, if I could restore my hard drive to its original state, I would do so in a heartbeat.

Back to the immediate issue. I may have stumbled onto a clue, but I need help deciphering it.

Recall that 'sudo fdisk -l' returns

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x988b55cf

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 2048 83148532 41573242+ 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2 83152440 312576704 114712132+ 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 83152503 303162614 110005056 83 Linux
    /dev/sda6 303162678 312576704 4707013+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

I tried 'sudo fsck /dev/sda1' and got the following:

fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
    e2fsck 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
    fsck.ext2: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
    fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda1

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
    filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
    is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

My understanding is way too limited to know what my next step should be.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cobras View Post
    I tried 'sudo fsck /dev/sda1' and got the following:
    You can't run fsck on a Windows NTFS partition. fsck is for Linux partitions.

As I said, get a Windows CD and boot it so you can run Windows chkdsk /f on the Vista partition.
    Last edited by howefield; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast