Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Web Server

Beans

Web Server

Hi I run raveskool.com
    Recently in the last week my hosting provider deleted my ecommerce folder for containing files construe to be archiving and in the TOA it says archiving of files is not permitted on our servers .
    Point being I thought I would build a Linux web server .
    After researching I decided on Ubuntu 12. And apache2. Used an old 1.2 desktop and set it up for a trial run after 30 hours I had it running stable and serving my site.
    With this I brought a server configured a 1tb raid0 and repeated the process (A LOT MORE DIFFICULT THIS TIME I MIGHT ADD) Again I hit the forums sorted all the problems out have it running at moment stable 32 hours.
    What I cannot understand is the speed of files being downloaded now I have not tested download speed on this yet I thought I would ask if there’s some script I need to use to speed up the process or is it down to my fiber optic connect and what is the maximum download speed a home server can hope to achieve, that is outside world downloading from my server.
    http://192.168.1.35/ravesite/shop/
    kind regards
    [removed email] Sending emails from my shop admin to customers not working what email client should the server be running
    Last edited by sandyd; April 6th, 2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: removed email

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Web Server

Welcome to the Forums! Hopefully I can answer your question and its easy to understand.

Speed Questions

The maximum upload speed of your home server is dependent on the service agreement you have with your ISP. At my house I get 55Mbps down and 6 Mbps up. If I switched contracts of service I could go to a much faster package. Say 55 Mbps down and 25 Mbps up, however the price jump is crazy. The most important number to you when you are running a webserver is the upload speed. Download speed isn't needed as much. The only time you will use download speed on the webserver is when someone is uploading files to it. You might need a business level contract in order to get faster upload speeds.

All depends on your area and ISPs. You could run a speedtest from speedtest.net or a similar service to see what currently your speeds look like.

Mail Portion
    Are you sure you can send emails at all from the webserver? I would recommend using thunderbird or evolution for a client. Also webmail would be a viable option for easy access when you aren't on your regular systems.

Hope that helps.

~Caboose
    Last edited by Caboose885; April 6th, 2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: clarified
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss
    "No man has ever seen his dreams fulfilled and regretted the sacrifice necessary to fulfill them" -- Mattie Montgomery

Beans

I installed send mail but still not managed to sort it

Beans

so a 100 mb file would only take 9.22 seconds it use to take 6 minutes on my host service provider still I can live with that obviously the more connections the slower it be

Beans

I fixed it I just had not filled out files right all done now cheers

Beans

Every part site working ok but I failed on making my ip address that the world sees static thought I had but when router reset I lost connectivity with web

Beans

Static IP ADDRESS

Night mare this is ,<br> 1. right my ISP lets port 80 be forwarded <br>2. ISP DNS servers not listed hidden from public view no reference on web to them<br>3. I managed to sneakily Acquire DNS servers, IPV4, and the ip range subnet <br>4. cant find tutorial clear enough to follow in creating a static ip address for the world to see so I can add my domain name to it<br> some divine intervention needed all help on this matter much appreciated in advance .<br>kind regards <br> last question how come I can not press enter for new line and html tags don't work. No offence intended but this is by far the worst forum input system I have ever seen kind regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Static IP ADDRESS

Quote Originally Posted by burge38 View Post
    Last question how come I can not press enter for new line and html tags don't work. No offence intended but this is by far the worst forum input system I have ever seen kind regards
    This forum doesn't accept HTML in its posts. For formatting, like many other forums, it uses BBCODE, see http://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=bbcode.

To get blank lines between paragraphs, push "Enter" twice.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Please use CODE tags.

Beans

just pressed enter 20 times no effect yes key works just fine ,no still no <br>

Beans

sorry mate not learning another code hard enough getting to grips with Linux without having to use some obscure code to format in a Linux forum input page haven't got time any answers to important questions as I did state not having ago just a bit strange compared to the other 6 forums I am a member off if being different and harder to use than average forum gets you visits then fair paly. kind regards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast