Thread: how to delete files from mp3 player?

Beans

how to delete files from mp3 player?

Hi,
    I've got a new mp3 player. I have uploaded some mp3-s I needn't, therefore have deleted... I thought, still used the player.
    There are my deleted files firmly on the player (in shuffled que - I do not know why, I never shuffle anything).
    I thought something is wrong: pushed back to the usb on computer. Strange! There are no files in filelist I've deleted before.
    These are not there, but these are there.
    Help! Please help me, how can I delete really the files.
    Thanks in advance for answers.
    Last edited by madnbri; April 28th, 2013 at 08:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: how to delete files from mp3 player?

With external storage devices, when you 'delete' a file in a graphical file manager (like nautilus), the file is actually moved to a hidden directory at the root of the storage device. It's analogous to the trash bin that files on your computer's hard drive are sent to. Most of the time people notice this because they delete files and no space is freed up. I assume that your player is simply looking in the hidden directory and getting the music files from there.

To see the hidden directory, plug in your player to USB and navigate to it in the file manager, then press 'ctrl+h' to see hidden directories/files. It will begin with a '.', IIRC it's called something like '.trashes'. If you delete that directory, then the files should be properly deleted.

You can avoid this issue in the future by using 'shift+delete' to remove files, which will bypass the trash bin etc.. Or you can use the terminal with rm.

Beans

Thank You!
    This is the one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Please mark the thread as 'solved' (it should be available in the 'thread tools' at the top of the page).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by evilsoup View Post
    Please mark the thread as 'solved' (it should be available in the 'thread tools' at the top of the page).
    No, this function is missing at me.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

hi madnbri the function is there only in the first post in the thread right at the top
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans

OK, I've changed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

H ow to delete files from mp3 player?

Hi,
    I've got a new mp3 player. I have uploaded some mp3-s I needn't, therefore have deleted... I thought, still used the player.
    There are my deleted files firmly on the player (in shuffled que - I do not know why, I never shuffle anything).
    I thought something is wrong: pushed back to the usb on computer. Strange! There are no files in filelist I've deleted before.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

H ow to delete files from mp3 player?

Hi,