Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which desktop is right for me? And why?

Beans

Re: Which desktop is right for me? And why?

Trying different desktops environments is definitely the best way to learn what you like best. After all, who knows what you like better than you?
    Last edited by the8thstar; April 8th, 2013 at 12:21 AM.
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans

cpsully69

As someone who still distro-hops even after years of running Linux..I'd strongly recommend setting up /home as a seperate partition when you install the OS'es. (and, of course, don't select 'format' for that partition when installing a new distro!).
    It has really helped me.
    +1 on that.
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

The question is whether you see your operating system as a toy or as a tool. In my case it's a tool. Swithing distro means reconfiguring your computer, which I don't want because it takes a lot of time before you know how to configure it. Switching desktop environment is easier, particularly when you can get a different one from the main ubuntu repositories. So I'd say: just get one that you like and is well supported and use it. There are many other tings on your computer you can experiment with, without risking having to reinstall or reconfigure your system. But that's just my opinion.

Beans

Becareful, if you have a single unused desktop USE THAT or use Dual Boot to install Ubuntu i do NOT recommend replacing your Windows for Ubuntu AT ALL

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

One of the things I like about *buntu is that with all the different flavors around, most of the major desktops have been tweaked to have an Ubuntu flair. It is a good distro for trying out the different desktops IMO. Just log out and click and you can scroll through all your choices, boot up and see what you get. Once you have a good idea of the desktop environment you like, you'll have a better idea of what kind of distro you might like. If a distro uses your preferred DE, you can probably be assured it will do other things you like.
    We're alike, me and cat. A couple of poor nameless slobs. -- Holly Golightly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For distro testing purposes, do what you've already been doing. Use a virtual machine.
    It'll save a lot wasted time trying to copy iso's to disks or usb sticks.
    You can run 'em straight off the file.
    When one gets you riled up in excitement and feels like the one you want to use, then set up a real install.
    I wouldn't keep reinstalling different distros over and over to the same partition.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cpsully69 View Post
    As someone who still distro-hops even after years of running Linux..I'd strongly recommend setting up /home as a seperate partition when you install the OS'es. (and, of course, don't select 'format' for that partition when installing a new distro!).
    It has really helped me.
    I dont know about the OP, but I'm interested to know how to set this partition up, what exactly should go in it (I'm asssuming the /home folder), how big should it be, and how to utilize it.
    Sounds like a super idea.
    Last edited by AndyOpie150; April 8th, 2013 at 05:27 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by AndyOpie150 View Post
    I dont know about the OP, but I'm interested to know how to set this partition up, what exactly should go in it (I'm asssuming the /home folder), how big should it be, and how to utilize it.
    Personally, I like to install Linux with ONLY "/" mount point. Your "/home" will be in "/". And I Multi-Boot. Instead of separate "/home" I use plain ext4 partition to store my DATA. I just change the default save paths in the applications, like say Libreoffice, to save in my DATA partition. You can choose to automount this Data partition or manual mount it when needed.

The advantage of having only "/" partition is that you don't have to worry about BACK UPS when installing and re-installing new distros or new versions of Ubuntu. If you find customizing your application preferences painful then you can BACKUP dot_files in /home and carry over your settings to new versions.

Shared /home can cause issues as it may conflict with, especially if shared with other distros. Also there is chance of formatting it during installs/re-installs if one is not carefull.

My two cents.....
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyOpie150 View Post
    When creating your partition scheme, you would give somewhere around 20-30GB of space to the root partition.
    Then maybe something like 2 or 3 Gb for swap.
    And if you want, put everything else in the /home partition.
    Or at least what you would want.
    The home partition will be holding all your personal files, so that includes media files, which can be pretty large.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12