Thread: File Version Numbers

Beans

File Version Numbers

I've been experimenting with DVD::Rip. The instructions mention that some additional files would be useful, xvid4conf for example. Any version from v. 1.6 to 1.12 will do. Synaptic can get me v. 1.12-0.1 which looks like it will do the trick. However rar and mplayer files have file version numbers that I don't understand. DVD::Rip wants any version of rar from 2.71 to 2.99 and mplayer from 0.9 to 1.0 Synaptic can get me rar 2:4.0.b3-1 with a similar result for mplayer. What's the colon for? Is this version 2.4 or 4.0?

Thanks
    Last edited by Polydorus; April 8th, 2013 at 06:44 PM.

Beans

Re: File Version Numbers

Anyone? TIA

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Polydorus View Post
    I've been experimenting with DVD::Rip. The instructions mention that some additional files would be useful, xvid4conf for example. Any version from v. 1.6 to 1.12 will do. Synaptic can get me v. 1.12-0.1 which looks like it will do the trick. However rar and mplayer files have file version numbers that I don't understand. DVD::Rip wants any version of rar from 2.71 to 2.99 and mplayer from 0.9 to 1.0 Synaptic can get me rar 2:4.0.b3-1 with a similar result for mplayer. What's the colon for? Is this version 2.4 or 4.0?

Thanks
    ignore the 2:. its 4.0

Technically, if you install dvd::rip from the repos, it is compiled against the library versions that are avaliable in the repository anyways, so you don't even really need to check to see if it will work or not. If it doesn't work, it should be a bug.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Hidden!

In case you are curious, the 2: thing is called epoch in Debian parlance. It helps e.g. when upstream version numbering scheme changes in an incompatible way:
    Code:
    20120315-beta -> 1.0
    To ensure smooth upgrades, Debian makes this look like:
    Code:
    20120315-beta -> 1:1.0
    as anything after 1: compares greater than bare 20120315 (0: is implied before it).

There are other uses for it, too.
    Last edited by schragge; April 6th, 2013 at 09:05 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    ignore the 2:. its 4.0

Technically, if you install dvd::rip from the repos, it is compiled against the library versions that are avaliable in the repository anyways, so you don't even really need to check to see if it will work or not. If it doesn't work, it should be a bug.
    Thanks sandyd. I was going ahead and download whatever was available but got to wondering what the version numbers meant.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by schragge View Post
    In case you are curious, the 2: thing is called epoch in Debian parlance. It helps e.g. when upstream version numbering scheme changes in an incompatible way:
    Code:
    20120315-beta -> 1.0
    To ensure smooth upgrades, Debian makes this look like:
    Code:
    20120315-beta -> 1:1.0
    as anything after 1: compares greater than bare 20120315 (0: is implied before it).

There are other uses for it, too.

Thanks for the explanation schragge.