Thread: 32bit or 64bit

Beans

32bit or 64bit

If my Sony notebook has 8GB of ram should I use the 64bit version of Ubuntu? It does say it recommends to use 32bit but is it better to use 64bit on machines that has Win 7 64bit? Also my Sony has a Intel i3 2.4gHz processor not AMD but I don't know if that makes a difference. I got the first generation of Intel i3 processor so it was made back in 2010.
    Last edited by Dallas2coolio; April 5th, 2013 at 06:48 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: 32bit or 64bit

Read this article, although extensive and may seem a bit dense is quite elucidative: Ubuntu 12.10: 32-bit vs. 64-bit Linux Performance

Beans

Well why I was asking is that will the 32bit version detect 8gb of ram or will it only detect 3.5gb even I have 8gb like Windows basicly? Also another question is for my netbook I used the 32bit since it has 2gb of ram but will 64bit work on a netbook also?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello!

Well why I was asking is that will the 32bit version detect 8gb of ram or will it only detect 3.5gb even I have 8gb like Windows basicly?
    Without a PAE (Physical Address Extension) kernel, a 32 bit kernel can only address ~4GB (minus however much is reserved by system or hardware) of memory.

Also another question is for my netbook I used the 32bit since it has 2gb of ram but will 64bit work on a netbook also?
    Whether or not it will run a 64 bit kernel is determined by the architecture of the CPU. One of my machines runs 64 bit Fedora just fine with 2GB of memory.

The link given is quite explanatory.

Regards!

Moved to Recurring Discussions.
    Last edited by QIII; April 5th, 2013 at 07:10 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

QIII is absolutely rigth. Without a PAE (Physical Address Extension) kernel, a 32 bit kernel can only address 4GB.

If you want to address more than 4 GB you need a 64 bit OS kernel which includes PAE support. PAE increases the address size from 32 bits to 36 bits which means you can address up till 64GB.
    Last edited by slickymaster; April 5th, 2013 at 07:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Go with the 64-bit.
    And don't worry 'bout the amd64, it'll run (hopefully) intel cpus. It's some sort of trademark thing, or something.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas2coolio View Post
    If my Sony notebook has 8GB of ram should I use the 64bit version of Ubuntu? It does say it recommends to use 32bit but is it better to use 64bit on machines that has Win 7 64bit? Also my Sony has a Intel i3 2.4gHz processor not AMD but I don't know if that makes a difference. I got the first generation of Intel i3 processor so it was made back in 2010.
    I'd run 64-bit on that even if it "only" had 2GB RAM.

The 32-bit recommendation is a bug that likely won't be fixed anytime soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Beats me why it is still called amd 64 because fact of the matter is the 64 bit version runs on both amd and intels....my last laptop and current one both have intel i3 cores and 64 bit is what i have always run!
    It may be that originally, amd was first to have 64 bit support and later followed by intel but for some strange reason, ubuntu never updates that in the information on the iso links....they really SHOULD....probably confuses the heck out of "newbies"

Beans
    Hidden!

It's called "amd" 64 largely for historical reasons. Apparently AMD were the first to add 64-bit capabilities to their cpus before intel did.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Calling it "AMD64" does confuse newbies, as does the "32-bit (recommended)" on the Ubuntu website.

What's wrong with "If your computer has a 64-bit CPU, use this image" and "If your computer has a 32-bit CPU, or you don't know your CPU model, use this image". And then name the 64-bit image "x86-64".
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.