Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tutorials Section Re-opening

Beans

Re: Tutorials Section Re-opening

There's been nothing yet suggested to discourage you from reopening t&t, preferably just like any other sub-forum in terms of moderation.
    (- Though if the OP cannot edit their orig. post past the current 60 day limit it's use will be somewhat dampened & certainly counter productive.

As far as the wiki, duplication, outdated, ect., ect., so what.. This is a interactive forum & there's always something to be gained by person to person contact. (or lost when it's removed.
    Last edited by mc4man; April 13th, 2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: added s, spelling matters

Beans

Great news, but IMHO that will only work properly if the author of the tutorial can edit that tutorial endlessly, otherwise as things change it will quickly become outdated - especially now that Ubuntu has reduced the support cycle for interim (non-LTS) versions to 9 months.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Though if the OP cannot edit their orig. post past the current 60 day limit it's use will be somewhat dampened & certainly counter productive.
    I strongly agree with this point.

Beans

Perhaps rather than reopen Tutorials and Tips close it completely and then open up a new SubForum. Something like 'Ubuntu Guides' or the like could then rise Phoenix-like from the ashes of T&T rather than stirring up the coals of this now dispirited Forum. Invite users to submit new guides or even resubmit older guides from T&T and equip the new subforum with a new and focussed set of guidelines. Ability to edit the original guide indefinitely would of course be necessary....
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Of course, for the tutorials section of the forum to be re-opened then the editing restriction would have to be removed.

The idea behind closing the tutorials section was that it would be preferable if all the awesome people who contributed to Ubuntu documentation could work in the same place. That we could have one resource that the whole community could use and contribute to. The wiki would be the ideal place for this.

This is about unifying the Ubuntu experience. You want documentation, you visit the wiki, you want support you visit the forums (or askubuntu).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    This is about unifying the Ubuntu experience. You want documentation, you visit the wiki, you want support you visit the forums (or askubuntu).
    Hmmmmm...... but this sort of rigid categorization was part of the thinking behind closing the original Tutorials and Tips forums. What sort of flexibility would be in place for a revamped T&T?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exactly

Just clarifying the reasons why it was closed in the first place.

What advantage, to the community as a whole, does a revamped T&T offer ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    What advantage, to the community as a whole, does a revamped T&T offer ?
    I am not that keen to return to the defences of T&T that I made both on these Forums and on IRC not that long ago. In these times, in part because of the T&T closure I left these Forums and subsequently returned, received a temporary (reversed) 10 point Ubuntu Forums infraction after my return, contemplated leaving Ubuntu for good... Those times have past and I have moved on, but I would be interested in participating in the revamped T&T if and when this occurs, arguments and justifications I will leave to others. Looking forward to the return though...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The edit restrictions were not a part of closing T&T, we did that before the closing because at the time we were being nearly overrun by spammers, and one of their favourite tactics at he time was to create quite a few threads, and then go away for a couple of weeks/months only to return to add spam links to those posts. We have since been quite successful in keeping the amount of spam below an unmanageable level, and feel that removing any of the edit limits would be a benefit to all our forum members, not only those that choose to post in the T&T sub-forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    We have since been quite successful in keeping the amount of spam below an unmanageable level, and feel that removing any of the edit limits would be a benefit to all our forum members, not only those that choose to post in the T&T sub-forum.
    Hear! Hear!

I've never participated in the T&T sub-forum, nor the Wiki. I do tutorials in a piecemeal fashion, in practically every post I write, but...

I do participate in a HOWTO in the General Help sub-forum (linked to in my sig).

The purpose of the HOWTO was to cut down on my PM's, and having to answer the same questions over n' over again in The Big Conky Thread, so called.

The idea was to keep the thread as concise as possible; hopefully limit it to a few pages. The OP was going to tweak his HOWTO, as needed. And, I was going to maintain a "Perpetual Data Dump"... all on Page-1 of the thread.

Everything was going fine, until the "edit limits" were implemented. LoL!

Now, that HOWTO has 124,000+ views (and counting) and 850+ replies.

The OP is "Burnt Beans" now (locking his HOWTO started the downward spiral) but the HOWTO lives on. It's probably the best Conky Tutorial on the web.

The "problem" for me (the code maintainer) is... I cannot update the "Perpetual Data Dump". It's stuck in time -- in 2011.

The problem for the user is, 'they' need to sift through 85-pages (850+ posts) to find the latest update(s).

This could all have been avoided by removing the "edit limits". But, it's not too late to fix things.

You're right, cariboo907. The expressed desire is to keep the T&T sub-forum active and up_to_date, but removing the "edit limits" would have a beneficial affect, all the way around -- for all members -- in all sub-forums.

Matter of fact, as far as I'm concerned, they can leave everything the way it is, and just remove the "edit limits".

That's the_elephant_in_room IMO!
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast