Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up VM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Setting up VM

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and I am happy to be a new member of the Ubuntu forum community. I have been doing a lot of reading over the past few months in regards to Ubuntu and Linux in general. I am a long time Windows user and want to setup Ubuntu on a Virtual Machine to give it a try. The reasons for trying out Ubuntu and for a possible switch to Linux if everything goes well is because I want something that looks beautiful, works fast, doesn't get viruses and is free and open. I just love the open concept and the fact that you don't have to be concerned with installing antivirus software. Also, I am an Android enthusiast and ready to make (or start to make) the leap into building my own ROMs from source.

Before I start, I think I might have some issues. My system is kind of old and I don't know how much space is required to boot Ubuntu via VM and also how much space I should allocate especially if I am wanting to build Android ROMs from source. This is what I am currently working with, what do you think?

Windows Vista 64 bit
    4GB System Memory
    640GB Hard Drive
    2.20 GHz

The problem is I only have 194GB of free hard drive space remaining on my system. It doesn't sound like that will be enough.

Also should I be downloading the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Ubuntu? How should I configure the VM to get Ubuntu installed and running without issue.

Really excited to get started and give it a try, it's the whole installation process that is kind of frustrating, especially for someone new and used to using Windows. Thanks.
    Last edited by ChochiWpg; April 8th, 2013 at 03:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: New to Linux and Ubuntu and need helping setting up VM

Here is a pretty good tutorial on how to do it: Installing Ubuntu inside Windows using VirtualBox

Edit: Be very welcome to the forum.
    If you find you'll need assistance don't hesitate to post asking for help, you'll find that everyone will be more than glad to help you.
    Last edited by slickymaster; April 5th, 2013 at 02:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your prompt reply slickymaster it is much appreciated.

I will take a look at the guide in your post and give it a try when I get home from work. If I run into any problems or have concerns I will post them here.

Wow, quick response and very polite as well. My first experience with the Ubuntu forums is already a pleasant one and has started off on a good note. Thank you again. I will keep you posted of my progress.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

I would suggest 1 gig of memory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you are going to be compiling programs, you will want all the RAM you can get. If hard drive space is an issue, either buy a bigger HDD or run Ubuntu from an external HDD installation.
    System76 Serval Pro 7: Ubuntu 16.04; Dell Latitude D800: Lubuntu 16.04; Zotac Z-Box ID45: Ubuntu 16.04 with MythTV 0.28

Ubuntu problems? http://www.googlubuntu.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ChochiWpg View Post
    Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and I am happy to be a new member of the Ubuntu forum community. I have been doing a lot of reading over the past few months in regards to Ubuntu and Linux in general. I am a long time Windows user and want to setup Ubuntu on a Virtual Machine to give it a try. The reasons for trying out Ubuntu and for a possible switch to Linux if everything goes well is because I want something that looks beautiful, works fast, doesn't get viruses and is free and open. I just love the open concept and the fact that you don't have to be concerned with installing antivirus software. Also, I am an Android enthusiast and ready to make (or start to make) the leap into building my own ROMs from source.

Before I start, I think I might have some issues. My system is kind of old and I don't know how much space is required to boot Ubuntu via VM and also how much space I should allocate especially if I am wanting to build Android ROMs from source. This is what I am currently working with, what do you think?

Windows Vista 64 bit
    4GB System Memory
    640GB Hard Drive
    2.20 GHz

The problem is I only have 194GB of free hard drive space remaining on my system. It doesn't sound like that will be enough.

Also should I be downloading the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Ubuntu? How should I configure the VM to get Ubuntu installed and running without issue.

Really excited to get started and give it a try, it's the whole installation process that is kind of frustrating, especially for someone new and used to using Windows. Thanks.
    By the way, and just as a reference to you, in this machine in particular I have Xubuntu 13.04 running on a VM Virtual Box with 1 GB of RAM and using 100 GB of my hard drive, divided in three partitions, as follows:
    One ext4 partition of 50 GB for my root, one ext4 partition of 50 GB for my home, and a last partition of 2 GB for my swap.
    Last edited by slickymaster; April 5th, 2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Several typos

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    By the way, and just as a reference to you, in this machine in particular I have Xubuntu 13.04 running on a VM Virtual Box with 1 GB of RAM and using 100 GB of my hard drive, divided in three partitions, as follows:
    One ext4 partition of 50 GB for my root, one ext4 partition of 50 GB for my home, and a last partition of 2 GB for my swap.
    When I setup the VM I will set with 1GB of RAM since I have a machine with 4GB total RAM. Just wasn't sure how much harddrive I should allocate for the VM. I don't think I will divide my VM into separate partitions. This is my first time setting up a VM so I am a complete noob, that's pretty advanced for me to be honest.

If I am wanting to build Android from source, how much space should be allocated or how much would suffice?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ChochiWpg View Post
    If I am wanting to build Android from source, how much space should be allocated or how much would suffice?
    Sorry, but I'm unqualified to help you with that. Personally I just develop in Java and SQL.

My advise to you is to start a new thread on the Development & Programming sub-forum asking it, there.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    Sorry, but I'm unqualified to help you with that. Personally I just develop in Java and SQL.

My advise to you is to start a new thread on the Development & Programming sub-forum asking it, there.
    No problem, you have been a big help, thank you very much for all your assistance.

Beans
    Distro

Alright, I setup my VM today and installed the 64bit version of 12.04LTS. It was relatively simple to install. I allocated 1GB RAM and provided 20GB of HDD for the time being just to play around and get familiar with everything.

I notice that it seems to run extremely slow. I don't know if it's because it's running as a VM on top of Windows so my computer is working hard to keep 2 OS's going at the same time? Windows, my main OS, is working the way it normally does with no lag whatsoever. But even to go to Ubuntu Software Centre to install VLC Player it's been installing for the past 5 mins. Also I checked for updates first thing after initial install and reboot. The system found 132 items that needed updating, I click update and it asked for a password, which I provided and then click next and it just sits there as if attempting to download but doesn't do anything.

I am on a desktop PC with a wired internet connection, so I know connection isn't a problem. I don't know why it's taking forever to do the first basic steps after install and seems very very laggy. Did I do something wrong?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast