Thread: [Closed]Gnome 3

Beans

[Closed]Gnome 3

I found a nice piece of text on the web which I would like to share with you
    Not very recent but still true.

Just read and think it over , not just react please.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnome-3.html
    Last edited by kuifje09; April 7th, 2013 at 05:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Gnome 3

Post moved, as it is not a support request.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

First, a lot of it is not relevant any more. He was talking about not being able to multitask with Gnome 3, but I don't see why that would be the case. You can have as many windows as you want on a single workspace, just like with any other desktop environment. Switching between them is a little different. You don't switch focus by clicking a tab on the top bar; you hit the super key and pick from there (or you can ALT+TAB as in Unity). Which method is better or faster is a matter of preference. Yes, it takes a key press and a mouse click in Gnome 3, but it's probably easier to tell which window is which in the Applications overview mode of Gnome 3 (especially if you have, for example, a bunch of terminals open, which I often do).

In any case, there are always going to be people who like it and those who hate it. Same with Unity, same with KDE, same with any other desktop environment. I'm a KDE user but I've been playing with the new Gnome lately and have to say I like it (shocker). I certainly like it better than Unity. But I'm not about to try to convince someone which desktop environments they should like and which they shouldn't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Forget classic mode, let's move on. Some people would still have us using Win95 and Next step inspired front ends. Goodness, I don't want to be reminded of these flaky OS's. For me the best thing about Gnome 3 is the clean desktop and a simple mouse movement taking me to the apps page, then the whole minimising and un minimising technique; brilliant, effective. Now the thing is, I prefer almost everything else about unity. Ho Humm.

Graham.
    Dark days nurture new
    light. Productions begin.
    Now open your eyes

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Graham C Williams View Post
    Forget classic mode
    I think not Mr Williams

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm currently in windows right now and I can't tell you how many times today I have smacked the corner of my screen and wondered why it didn't seem to be working!

The article was the thinking at the time. People's beloved Gnome had changed and everyone was ready to put dirt on their heads, tear their clothes and put on sackcloth!

Beans

I've not read the article, and I'm not going to. I gave up with dedoidemo years ago. He is so negative he makes Eyeore from Winnie The Pooh look like Ned Flanders from the Simpsons.

He's not going to like Gnome3 (Unity/KDE4/Enlightenment*/etc) - it was written in the third millenium.

* most of it

Beans

Thanks mörgæs for moving the thread, I only thought its a bit related to my problems.

The going on development of [*]ubuntu is a good thing, but it makes me a bit sad my hardware which is still working perfect is no longer enough for the demands of the os but perfect for my jobs on this system.
    I have not a big wallet so I have to continue as long as possible on this system and hope it want break.

But also Nvidia stoped support for my video card for the 3.X kernel. So I am losing this battle anyway.

But it is not worth any further discussion. It is a fackt. However, if I will keep up with [*]ubuntu I must spend a next 300E at some hardware shop to replace an Athlon 2800 system with AGP video card.

And for those who stiil call out for using not gnome or ubuntu. Even a swith to another distro would not help. it does not matter which desktop you run. One can be more consuming then another but no support means no deskop. ( I could still work at a console but no gui's )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: [Closed]Gnome 3

As the OP has edited the title of the post to "Closed", I'll do it for real ...