Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
No, but people tend to get just a wee bit testy when the same questions are asked over and over again

If you look at the sections which have questions and answers relating to actual support, you'll probably agree that discourse there is, by and large, quite civil. But as SNG sang a while back, a man see what he wants to see and disregards the rest or words to that effect.
Yes, yes, I get it....

But it's not as if I hadn't done some searching on my own before I posted the question. I tried several pan-forum searches using different terms. I'm generally pretty good with Google, but clearly, I didn't ask the right question, or I asked it the wrong way, or didn't use terms the search engine understood, but I found nothing relevant in the results. So, I asked! So, SHOOT ME!

What's more, I made it clear that I had been away from the Linux/Ubuntu community for a while, so it was to be expected that I was not up to date.

Considering all this, I thought the rudeness was unwarranted and unjustifiable. Sometimes, I think people are "testy" because it makes them feel superior - not to mention safe - to insult people through the faceless anonymity of the online world. Personally, I think it is cowardly. It's easy to insult someone you can't see, whom you can easily imagine as a 5'4" 120-pound pencil-necked twerp (like Howard Wolowitz on "The Big Bang Theory"). It's harder to insult someone if you are face-to-face with him, especially if you can see that he is in fact a bearded 6'3" 300-pound walking brick with arms like a gorilla (like #61 Joe Hawley, offensive lineman for the Atlanta Falcons).

I suggest that if this is a question that has been addressed "over and over again," the subject would have been an excellent candidate for being included as a sticky post, or as part of an FAQ or "Readme" for newbies. Further, I suggest the deployment of a more intelligent search engine that is better able to infer from a wider range of possible queries and provide results that are more relevant.