Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming back to Ubuntu, but have seen red flags...

Hybrid View

Beans

Coming back to Ubuntu, but have seen red flags...

I have used Ubuntu in the past (version 9.x) and now want to install the newest version in a new laptop. But a red flag has popped up, causing me to hesitate.

Katherine Noyes published in linux.com the following:

Regarding Ubuntu, however, a number of issues have come up over the past year or so, including the inclusion of online shopping results in searches – an addition Richard Stallman and the EFF have called “spyware.”

I did a little research, including reading Stallman's original piece on this subject and frankly, I find this a bit alarming. I expect this kind of thing from Microsoft, Apple, Google or other sellers of commercial proprietary OS's, but not from the Linux community!

Has Canonical been seduced by the Dark Side of the Force?? What EXACTLY does this mean? Is Canonical paid to collect - through Ubuntu - information (anonymous or not) from my search behavior, enabling third parties to target me with sponsored results? Besides this, to what other "issues" is Noyes referring?

I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered elsewhere in this forum, but my searches so far have turned up nothing that actually explains what the controversy is about. But Richard Stallman - a well-known and respected member of the Linux community - has pulled no punches in giving Ubuntu the poison pen, recommending that no one continue to recommend Ubuntu, let alone install it.

If this horse is dead, please humor me and beat him some more for me. He probably won't care... He's already dead. But I'll be informed, and grateful. For others who, like me, need to be brought up to speed, it might even be good to put a sticky on it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Coming back to Ubuntu, but have seen red flags...

Covered ad nauseum.

Moved to Recurring.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Covered ad nauseum.

Moved to Recurring.
    Sorry... I must have been using the wrong search terms. I will check these archives.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bonejob View Post
    Sorry... I must have been using the wrong search terms. I will check these archives.
    Generally speaking - if you come across something that's in the slightest way controversial then you can bet your last penny that the subject will have been ground to dust already

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Now you have my interest. I know nothing of this yet, will dig up anything if I can.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping
    Some brief google searching shows this to remove it. Tried it, shows it worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This doesn't affect precise.

And anyway, what makes you think Richard Stallman would ever recommend Ubuntu?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    This doesn't affect precise.
    I am quite proficient with English, but I don't know what that sentence means. Grammatically, syntactically and contextually, it is nonsense.

And anyway, what makes you think Richard Stallman would ever recommend Ubuntu?
    I don't know him personally. But from your tone, you seem to be implying that you do. And that only an idiot could conceive of a universe in which some version of Richard Stallman might recommend Ubuntu. And that if I can't answer your rejoinder, I must therefore be an idiot. FINE! I'm an idiot! I don't have any idea what he would recommend. I only know ONE Linux distro he emphatically DOES NOT recommend.

I've been away from Linux for awhile, so I haven't kept up. I remember ubuntuforums.org as a place where people from newbies to experts could get information. Has it in the interim degenerated into one of those forums where snide sarcasm and snarkiness rule the discourse?

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bonejob View Post
    I am quite proficient with English, but I don't know what that sentence means. Grammatically, syntactically and contextually, it is nonsense.
    "Precise" is the code name for Ubuntu 12.04. So the translation is "This (implementation of online search) doesn't affect Ubuntu 12.04"

Hope that makes sense now grammatically, syntactically and contextually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast