Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to run from USB stick.

Beans

Re: Trying to run from USB stick.

I tried running it from LiveUSB (PenDriveLinux) to USB, but found it was faster (in speed) going from Live CD to 16gb USB. I may go back for a 32gb USB, but I see people running Ubuntu on next to nothing.
    As for the GUI. If you're referencing my situation, I'm not running Ubuntu Server, so I do have a GUI. From what I understand, 11.10 and higher will see the amount of RAM I have without a problem, so I really see no advantage to having server version.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Mooney6959 View Post
    I tried running it from LiveUSB (PenDriveLinux) to USB, but found it was faster (in speed) going from Live CD to 16gb USB. I may go back for a 32gb USB, but I see people running Ubuntu on next to nothing.
    As for the GUI. If you're referencing my situation, I'm not running Ubuntu Server, so I do have a GUI. From what I understand, 11.10 and higher will see the amount of RAM I have without a problem, so I really see no advantage to having server version.
    CD takes ages here, and you config is great. But why are trying to boot from USB? I use dualboot (Win7/Kubuntu 12.10). Using persistance with USB 2.0 would be slow too.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dandroid13 View Post
    CD takes ages here, and you config is great. But why are trying to boot from USB? I use dualboot (Win7/Kubuntu 12.10). Using persistance with USB 2.0 would be slow too.
    I'm deploying these servers to various areas of my company throughout the country. My thought is, should there be an update I want to implement across all of them, or in case of an OS failure (though unlikely), I can just send out a new USB rather than have somebody on the far end who doesn't know what they're doing try to replace the hard drive.

If I can't get boot from USB to work, I'm going to probably just buy a very small hard drive to use strictly for the OS, keeping my raid for Fat32 storage.
    My MB does support USB3. Would it really be that much more beneficial for me to seek out a USB3 thumb drive?

Any thoughts on why the boot loader doesn't seem to be coming up?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@Mooney6959

The desktop installer does not have RAID drivers. It used to be you had to use server installer or if you want desktop type install use alternative installer. But they have eliminated the alternative installer, but not yet added all of the RAID drivers & grub install to RAID configuration to the Desktop installer. You can do a server install and add the desktop if you want.

Do not use FAT for any larger file system unless you have to have compatibility with a Mac or x-box. FAT32 has no journal and cannot store files over 4GB. So any larger file system with corruption may not be repairable with chkdsk and/or will take a very long time to repair. Better to use NTFS if you need Windows compatibility, but you need a Windows install or repair CD/Flash to run chkdsk as you cannot do that from Linux.

Are you sure you want RAID 0? You need to have really good backups as that is for speed not reliability. Most use SSDs for speed now.
    Don't bother with RAID 0 unless you have a specific need for speed without data redundancy, since if one drive goes out, you lose the whole array.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

If you have more than 3GB of RAM, you really need the 64bit version to fully use the RAM. While PAE will access the RAM it is a hack.

Linus does not like PAE or 32 bit.
    http://cl4ssic4l.wordpress.com/2011/...lds-about-pae/

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
    max - 4GB minus 2 Bytes, NTFS has journal
    Just about all file systems compare
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

OldFred,

Thanks for the advice!

The reason I am going w\ Raid 0 is strictly for space. I have 2 x 2TB drives, of which I want the most amount of space, and still it seem as though it's one drive. Mind you, I agree w\ the lack of failsafe in this scenario. I'll have to think about this and if I wish to move forward this way, split the drives, get one 4tb drive, or go with another Raid config.

I understand that desktop install doesn't have Raid drivers. But being that this is a hardware Raid (done at the bios level), I was hoping to fool the OS. I'm guessing this isn't the case?

I downloaded the 12.04 32bit Alternate install but have not yet tried it, as I wish to keep the drives in the hardware raid vs messing w\ creating the same exact partitions on each drive just to use the Linux Raid. Additionally, my main goal is to boot from a USB anyway, rather than the drives.

I will also do some reading up on what you sent about the drives. I suppose I don't need FAT32 or even NTFS. I just went with that since it's a format I'm familiar with (being fairly new to Linux). What format would be best strictly for media storage and streaming (via Plex)?

Thanks again for all of your help! I greatly appreciate it!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

IF you have any sort of newer computer you should use the 64bit.

I have seen specific recommendations for different formats, but some of those may be obsolete. Ext4 is good for most things.
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - Benchmarking All The Linux File-Systems
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._1204_fs&num=1
    Large HDD/SSD Linux 2.6.38 File-System Comparison: EXT3, EXT4, Btrfs, XFS, JFS, ReiserFS, NILFS2
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...38_large&num=1

I have a 16GB flash drive with an install in 8GB and 8GB for data. It has 64bit with gpt partitioning (as a test of gpt). I just bought a new 32GB USB3 even though I do not have any USB3 ports. May be just a bit faster even with my USB2 ports.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Great News! I finally got it to load w\ Ubuntu 12.04 64bit Alternate.
    Not so great news... It's slow as heck! Is this typical when running on a 16gb USB 2.0 flash drive?
    It's slow to the point that it fades the screen every time I try to click on something new, then finally opens it after about 7 seconds. Also, nothing appears at all in my Dash Home.
    Happy to have it running. Was hoping for better performance. May buy a 32gb USB 3.0 Flash to try tomorrow, if somebody doesn't completely talk me out of it first.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have a full install in a 16GB flash drive. It is a bit slower booting, but once things are in RAM then it still is fast as most regular activity is cached in RAM anyway.

Did you change settings to reduce writes?

With SSD or Flash drives, Use ext4 without journal, trim does not apply to flash drives:
    sudo tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sda1
    sudo tune2fs -o discard /dev/sda1
    No swap or set swapiness or install 'Dynamic Swap Space Manager' from the Ubuntu Software Center
    After installing, change the fstab so that everything gets mounted with noatime.
    Make sure BIOS is in AHCI mode for trim to work.
    change to noop i/o scheduler

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...hed_2012&num=1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Mooney6959 View Post
    if somebody doesn't completely talk me out of it first.
    I have 12.04.2 running on a 16GB SanDisk Cruser Fit and it is quite fast, Like OldFred says, feels like it is running from RAM.
    The first time I open Firefox it takes ten seconds, the next time under a second.
    I have 12.10 running on a 32GB Kingston DataTraveler 100 G2 and it is like you describe, slow as molasses, with dimming windows, etc.
    I'm not sure if the problem is 12.10, the DataTraveler or something else.
    This weekend I may experiment to try and find out.
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; April 19th, 2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Added flash drive sizes

Beans

Well, even though they are labeled USB 2.0, that doesn't mean that they have the maximum speed of 10MB/s, probably barely 2.0MB/s. If you have the resources, you might want to benchmark them, and see what their real write/read speed are. Little of them are very fast, these devices are what you need to find, the cheap ones are probably slow.

Although this is old, I remember people load and run Linux from RAM itself. I'm not sure how or does Ubuntu support this.

Beside USB, SSD seems like a logical choice as well, of course not the big size ones. Maybe the 16GB or 32GB would be enough for your requirement. Coupled with eSATA (you definitely cannot find this one laptop), but desktops might have eSATA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12