Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to run from USB stick.

Beans

Trying to run from USB stick.

I am brand new to Ubuntu, so please try to make answers as simple as possible. I have started with a formatted system, no OS, just the BIOS. I am trying to set up a sever version of Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS. I have used UNetbootin to create a USB boot drive with the intent of running the OS permanently from the USB boot drive. When the system boots it gives me several options such as try without installing and installing. I have selected the try without installing option to run it off the USB stick. Next it will go through the Ubuntu start up dots page with a mouse pointer, this is where it flakes out on me; it next gives me a screen with multiple horizontal lines and the mouse pointer, but it's frozen and I can't do anything with it. I'm asking for suggestions. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Beans

Re: Trying to run from USB stick.

Try re-formatting the USB you're intending to boot from, and install a fresh copy of Ubuntu on it. I had a similar problem in the past where the image wasn't written to the USB properly, but it worked when I re-wrote the Ubuntu image to the USB. However, in my case I was just installing via USB, not attempting to use the USB as my system's primary HDD.

Beans

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

No you can't run it permanently from a usb created by unetbootin. It is only for testing, as a demo and for installation.

For one thing you will lose all your settings and data when you reboot if you have no persistence. Also a live usb doesn't support certain system upgrades (e.g kernel) and is limited to 4 G because of the FAT system. What you need is to install Ubuntu (a real install with ext4 file system) into the usb drive, or, to get better performance, an external hard drive. To to this you need two usbs (or a CD and a usb) one (or the CD) is to boot into the installer, the other (the target) is for installing Ubuntu into.

So first boot from your unetbootin created live usb (or the live CD) and then connect the target (which can be a second usb flash drive or an external hard drive) then run the installer as you would a normal install, except when choosing the way of installation, pick "something else" and format the target drive (say sdc) as ext4 with mount point "/" , and VERY IMPORTANT, scroll to the bottom of the same page choose your target drive (say sdc) from the drop down menu to install the boot loader. The rest is just answering the questions and clicking "continue"
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; April 5th, 2013 at 07:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have had similar experience trying to run Ubuntu on an old computer without enough power.
    If this is the case try Lubuntu or Xubuntu.

If you only have a small flash drive, (4GB), a persistent install may be the best you can do.
    You can make it a bit better by removing the Try/Install screen.

Edit syslinux.cfg by overwriting what is there with the following:

Code:
    default live
    label live
      say Booting an Ubuntu Live session...
      kernel /casper/vmlinuz
      append  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper persistent initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash noprompt --
    If the drive is 8GB or larger you can do a Full install or just use a persistent casper-rw partition rather than the casper-rw file.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    No you can't run it permanently from a usb created by unetbootin. It is only for testing, as a demo and for installation.

For one thing you will lose all your settings and data when you reboot if you have no persistence. Also a live usb doesn't support certain system upgrades (e.g kernel) and is limited to 4 G because of the FAT system. What you need is to install Ubuntu (a real install with ext4 file system) into the usb drive, or, to get better performance, an external hard drive. To to this you need two usbs (or a CD and a usb) one (or the CD) is to boot into the installer, the other (the target) is for installing Ubuntu into.

So first boot from your unetbootin created live usb (or the live CD) and then connect the target (which can be a second usb flash drive or an external hard drive) then run the installer as you would a normal install, except when choosing the way of installation, pick "something else" and format the target drive (say sdc) as ext4 with mount point "/" , and VERY IMPORTANT, scroll to the bottom of the same page choose your target drive (say sdc) from the drop down menu to install the boot loader. The rest is just answering the questions and clicking "continue"
    x

I have a very similar issue to which I have tried the above, but to no avail. Here's my deal.
    1U server chassis w\ Mini-ITX MB and 2.5gb Intel processor, 16gb RAM, and two x 2tb hard drives in a hardware raid 0.

My ultimate goal is to boot from 16gb USB, but I have also tried loading Ubuntu to the raid. No matter what I do, it seems as though the boot loader isn't installing properly. I've tried 11.10, 12.04, and 12.10, all 32bit.

I've had numerous times where the Ubuntu installation would fail or lock up, regardless of version. I can't tell you how many times it's hung up.

The last time I was successful installing from LiveCD to the 16gb USB with the above mentioned method, it just hangs on a flashing cursor on startup. I partitioned the USB as such; 8.5gb / (ext4), 500mb /boot (ext 4), and 7gb swap.

My ideal scenario would be to be able to run the server on Ubuntu 12.04 direct from USB and have the 4tb Raid as Fat32 storage.

Any thoughts or immediate things that stand out as to why this could be failing?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If it's a server you won't have a GUI. Why don'tt you try Lubuntu since it's supposed to be light on resources.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dandroid13 View Post
    If it's a server you won't have a GUI. Why don'tt you try Lubuntu since it's supposed to be light on resources.
    While it is physically in a server case, it's theoretically all laptop parts. I prefer to keep the GUI. Going to load Plex on it and, being a pretty much full force winblows guy, I prefer a gui.

Beans

You can perfectly run Ubuntu from a USB. Use one USB to load UnetBootin and the ISO. Use that one to get into the live session, and install it on another USB. Preferbly at least 16GB, better 32GB. Try to use a fast port like USB 3.0, i394 or external SATA.

Edit: Well, There might be video/graphic card issues. Intel should work fine. Others like Nvidea, have some issues sometimes.
    Last edited by zemega; April 17th, 2013 at 03:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by zemega View Post
    You can perfectly run Ubuntu from a USB. Use one USB to load UnetBootin and the ISO. Use that one to get into the live session, and install it on another USB. Preferbly at least 16GB, better 32GB. Try to use a fast port like USB 3.0, i394 or external SATA.
    I tried doing this in the past and had issues, couldn't install at all... But the OP's issue is that he doesn't have a GUI so he doesn't know how to do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast