Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Driver for Nvidia GeForce 8300 GS

Beans

Re: Driver for Nvidia GeForce 8300 GS

Try booting in text mode by editing the startup option as Bogan said. Once your at the text mode prompt you do not need to enter the "stop lightdm" command because it isn't running. Instead cd to the directory where the downloaded driver is (if it's just in your /home directory you're already there) and type "sudo sh NVIDIA-nameofdriver.run". It should automatically remove any existing nvidia driver before installing.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
    Isn't there any way I can just download this to where Synaptic can see it?
    Look, just open synaptic and search for Nvidia 173, it is in the repo. YOU DON'T NEED TO DOWNLOAD ANYTHING FROM NVIDIA. I don't know why bogan keeps telling you to download from Nvidia and install the .run file, it is a pain and if you are not experienced just don't do that.

Beans

The 173 driver doesn't do what he wants (WOW) the 310 driver will. I have an 8400 gs (so it's basically the same card as his) and trust me the 310 driver is a huge improvement.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

He can also install 310 from the repo, point is there is no need to download a .run file from Nvidia and go through the pain of trying to get it to work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mansonfan78 View Post
    The 173 driver doesn't do what he wants (WOW) the 310 driver will. I have an 8400 gs (so it's basically the same card as his) and trust me the 310 driver is a huge improvement.
    Same for me, although I am at 11.10 ( kernel 3.X ) and a 7600GS ( for one of my systems )

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

@>monkeybrain2012, You Posted:
    I don't know why bogan keeps telling you to download from Nvidia and install the .run file, it is a pain and if you are not experienced just don't do that.
    I have not told Crossbow to do anything.

I have only answered his specific questions and tried to explain the difficulties he has asked about. If you re-read the earlier posts in this thread you will see that I prefaced my Post with:" if you want to use the nvidia.com download,".

You also Posted:
    He can also install 310 from the repo
    It would have been more useful if you explained how he could do that. As both Synaptic and Additional drivers are notoriously non-informative as to the version referred to, in many cases you can not find out until after you have installed it.

@>Crossbow, Hi!,
    The " unknown" instance status message you got in response to the service stop call was because Lightdm was not running, I included it because whether the Xserver was running or not, depended on which route to the terminal you used.

The " unable to run" message was probably because the NVIDIA-blah-blah.run file was not executable; you would need to either run:
    Code:
    sudo chmod a+x NVIDIA-Linux-x86.....run # make sure each time you get the file name correct
    or Right Click on the file, select Properties>Permissions, tick the "Allow executing file as program" and close the window.

That, of course, is if you want to persevere and get the nvidia.com driver to install, despite the rather predjuiced contrary comments disguised as advice..

If you do not, then the correct package name for the 310 driver from 'normal' sources is "nvidia-experimental-310", and you also need: "nvidia-settings-experimental-310", but in my Synaptic, running 12.10, there is also listed: "nvidia-experimentel-310-dev", that is not what you want.

In Additional Drivers it is listed as: "Experimental NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernal module and VDPAU library" and you need to highlight it and read the text below to make sure it is the 310 version, and not 304 listed as the same.

If you use this route, make sure you remove any previously installed driver with a different package-name, before installing another.

Sorry it is not as 'dumbed-down' as perhaps you would like, but the other Posts involving other PPA's to get a non-'Experimental' would be even less dumb, if the Posters had bothered to read the Thread sub-title.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; April 8th, 2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spacing
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Well now I don't have. GUI at all. Tried going back to 173 but can still only log in as terminal.

Beans
    Distro

Lightdm is failing to start.

Beans
    Distro

Completely purged all drivers and installed 310 from root. logged in and fond no drivers installed. Managrd to get to synaptic and install 310. restarted, stuck at login screen.

I just wanted to do my taxes!!!

ps. I'm a she.

Beans

Okay, try this: reboot into recovery console and select "repair broken packages".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast