Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnome?

Beans

Gnome?

I am sorry if this has been here, and if it has, will a mooooooderation please occur.

I saw on the April desktop thread a guy who had Gnome pretending to be Unity.

Now, I hated Unity and went back to KDE when it was launched, but through a complex series of mishaps, I am so in love with Unity. When I maintain my parents' laptops running KDE, I'm so lost and I end up frastrated cause it's so clunky and agricultural.

So, I'm wondering, between unity and gnome shell, what would I be giving up? I mean could I switch and be as at peace as I am now?

Beans

Re: Gnome?

I am so in love with Unity
    pinballwizard: It sounds like Unity is currently meeting all your needs --so what are you missing? I'm not sure I get where you are going with this. Is there something preventing you from installing Gnome 3 along side Unity and "kicking the tires" so to speak?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I run both. when the gnome shell is installed on your existing Ubuntu installation it uses the Ubuntu applications. Its not like your adding a bunch of extra applications as with Xubuntu and the others. It never hurts to become familiar with another desktop and sudo apt-get remove is quick and effective .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Just "apt-get install gnome-shell" and then you can select GNOME at the login window to try it out. It won't affect Unity (called Ubuntu on the login screen selection). You can log in and out of either environment at will to try each out. Both Unity and Gnome Shell are excellent and much better than the older/classic style desktops IMHO.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupete View Post
    pinballwizard: It sounds like Unity is currently meeting all your needs --so what are you missing?
    This just looks so good:
    Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Turn Gnome-Shell into a Unity Wannabe. LoL!

* Gnome-Shell 3.8.0.1 / Ubuntu 13.04

I want that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Both 13.04 and Gnome 3.8 are for testing at the moment . You can experiment if you have room on your hardrive .Make backups if you plan to use 13.04 as your daily operating systen . 13.04 runs fine for me on my desktop, but the Gnome 3.8 trial was a bt rough so I am back on 3.6 which will ship with 13.04. Many extensions need to be update for 3.8 also.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    This just looks so good:

I want that.
    dash-to-dock extension on the left with intellihide turned on and conky on the right

Beans

I like GNOME Shell and Unity both, but adore Cinnamon and really dig MATE.
    Last edited by TeamRocket1233c; April 8th, 2013 at 03:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am able to do so much with Gnome. Both Unity and Gnome caught hell at first, but both have come a long way and continue to improve.

Beans

Right, Gnome installed, and I'm loving it. I really enjoy the extensions aspect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast