Thread: I want to overwrite the blank sector of my hard drive but can't find a tool to do so

Beans

Question I want to overwrite the blank sector of my hard drive but can't find a tool to do so

Hi, I'm not new to Ubuntu, but I'm looking for a specialized tool and I can't seem to track it down, when I was a windows user I had a program called Eraser, I had set eraser to give the empty and deleted sectors of my hard drive a once-over with a layer of zeroes every morning at 3 am, simply as a matter of privacy, now that I have made the full switch over to Ubuntu (I'm no longer dual booting) I would like to do the same, I had un-alocated my partitions using a live version of Gparted, then installed the os I'm running from now, I want to give my harddrive one last scrub, spring cleaning if you will but can't find a Linux compatible program that performs the task, any of you know something?

(and I know google is your friend, I searched high and low for a program like this, found nothing that wouldn't do a complete erasure)

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: I want to overwrite the blank sector of my hard drive but can't find a tool to do

There are several ways to do it, check here.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...ch&cof=FORID:9

Beans

Re: I want to overwrite the blank sector of my hard drive but can't find a tool to do

Wow thanks for the speedy reply, I'm checking out the link now

Beans

Okay I just have a question about the wipe command, does that just clear the empty sectors or will it preform a full erasure?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hay,

As a general rule, if ever you want more information on an installed application, run "man command" in terminal, such as "man wipe".

However if the software is not installed, a simple google search will give you the same result most of the time, or directly go to: manpages.ubuntu.com/

And according to this website:
    http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...n1/wipe.1.html

wipe repeatedly
    overwrites special patterns to the files to be destroyed, using the
    fsync() call and/or the O_SYNC bit to force disk access. In normal
    mode, 34 patterns are used (of which 8 are random). These patterns were
    recommended in an article from Peter Gutmann
    (pgut001@cs.auckland.ac.nz) entitled "Secure Deletion of Data from
    Magnetic and Solid-State Memory". A quick mode allows you to use only 4
    passes with random patterns, which is of course much less secure.
    But
    Journaling filesystems (such as Ext3 or ReiserFS) are now being used by
    default by most Linux distributions. No secure deletion program that
    does filesystem-level calls can sanitize files on such filesystems,
    because sensitive data and metadata can be written to the journal,
    which cannot be readily accessed. Per-file secure deletion is better
    implemented in the operating system.
    However please read through the above mentioned page. There are a few pitfalls, depending on HOW SECURE you wish the data to be erased. If just to protect against script kiddies with "photorec" and "test disk" or a copy of backtrack 5... Wipe should be fine. If you want to protect against forensic investigators that recover data from crispy hard drive platters (mission impossible jumps to mind)... well then wipe will not be enough.. Remember: "a certain task has a certain tool, other may work, but not as good as a certain tool for a certain task"

Regards
    Switched away from windows XP to Ubuntu 9.04. Never turned around to look back.