Thread: Dell Vostro 3350 GPU hangs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Dell Vostro 3350 GPU hangs.

I have problems with the GPU hanging on my new Dell Vostro 3350 laptop with Ubuntu 12.10. I believe that the GPU is hybrid AMD / Intel as per other postings on trying to get the AMD proprietary drivers to work. As none of the mentioned proprietary drivers seem to be installed, I assume that it is the open source Intel drivers that force me to hard reboot. Any ideas? I haven't seen this problem posted elsewhere.
    Peppermint OS Four - Dell Vostro 3350, Peppermint OS Three - Acer Aspire One 725 & Asus Eee PC 1015BX, Ubuntu 12.04 - home built AMD desktop,
    Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx

Beans

Re: Dell Vostro 3350 GPU hangs.

Did you solve the problem?I have same laptop and same problems with vga hybrid even when I use integrated card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dell Vostro 3350 GPU hangs.

I installed Peppermint Four (Ubuntu derivative) on the Vostro yesterday. So far, so good. Salix64 XFCE 14.0 also works very well. My advice is to go with a lighter weight distro, and stay away from the AMD proprietary drivers. The Vostro heats up less with a lighter weight distro, but the system hang seems to be be something directly related to Ubuntu, despite Ubuntu derivatives seeming to work just fine.
    Peppermint OS Four - Dell Vostro 3350, Peppermint OS Three - Acer Aspire One 725 & Asus Eee PC 1015BX, Ubuntu 12.04 - home built AMD desktop,
    Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx