Thread: Anyone use OpenIndiana?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Anyone use OpenIndiana?

Just wondering if anyone uses OpenIndiana and if there are any benefits with the illumos kernel vs linux kernel.
    Dell XP 8700 - Windows 10 64-bit Fast Ring - i7 4790 8GB 1GB 250GB SSD 1TB HDD
    HP Stream 13 - elementary Loki 64-bit
    HP Envy M6 - Windows 10 64-bit

Beans

Re: Anyone use OpenIndiana?

Probably none as its based on opensolaris

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I used it for a time. It seems development is slow. Last I checked, some of the included packages were wll out-of-date.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I am currently attempting to migrate GRUB2 in to the Illumos kernel base.

Beans

No offense to anyone, but I don't see any reason to use anything Solaris-based other than ZFS, and I think that's been ported to BSD and is in the process of getting ported to Linux via FUSE (if I recall correctly).

Beans

If you want UNIX, just use FreeBSD. It's as UNIX-y as OS X is.

Being a UNIX is really about licensing and if Apple calls OS X's BSD element "UNIX", it's because they have bought the right to do so. FreeBSD hasn't, so can't and won't, so don't.

You could even buy a Mac. It actually gave me a small pleasure to open the terminal on a display Mac in a shop and find all the "Linux" commands worked there too. Not sure if I could have dd'd it into silicon heaven but that would have just been nasty, not to say "criminal".

Beans

OpenIndiana is a good OS, but it's not compatible with all kind of hardware.
    If you have any ideas which can help me make JabirOS better, please tell me!

Beans

I've been using OpenIndiana on my NAS's for a few years. I chose it due to its solid support of ZFS and a desktop environment out of the box. At the time Linux and *BSD implementations of ZFS didn't seem stable or didn't support ZFS pool version 28. Though now *BSD does support ZFS pool version 28 and I'm sure stability/version support has improved on the Linux side of things. However, I also need a desktop/GUI and OpenIndiana comes with one by default (there is also a text-only server version) and this is something I haven't yet found in *BSD. However, Linux with BTRFS or ZFS might be a viable alternative for me.

Definitely agree with QIII and this is my main complaint with OpenIndiana: development is slow and the available software is old. As for hardware compatability, I get the impression that OpenIndiana is more picky than Linux but I've been able to run it fine on a few older laptops and relatively new custom built PCs and have most things work, at least according to the "Device Driver Utility". One thing that doesn't work is USB3 and I'm not sure it ever will.