Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP I know I must have missed something simple :-)

Beans

Re: HELP I know I must have missed something simple :-)

Thanks Doug, I will run that when I get home today.

I have 5 domains setup socialpitchman.com and thriftypeeps.com are using freedns and configured to my external i.p. biddock.com, bazoodle.com and preownedentertainment.com are all using godaddy nameservers and I have the @ record pointing to my external i.p. . Port 80 is not blocked by my isp, so is there something I can look up in the iptables? I am also using a lynksys router and have multiple devices running off of it. I have the port forwarding setup for my internal i.p. (192.168.1.102 and 192.168.1.101). I know it must be something simple, but so far it is alluding me...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Do you have a way to try from outside your home network? The problem is that many home routers can't send back the connection right away after you went out to the internet from it. And that's exactly what you are trying to do when trying to open the website from inside your home network.

You type the domain, it asks the DNS where is it, it gets the IP, and then your computer goes out of your router to the internet and then tries to go back right away since the public IP is your public IP.

Lots of home routers can't do that. But trying from another place, would help you rule that out.

You can view the accepted and blocked packets of iptables with:
    sudo iptables -L

Flushing rules and allowing access for all:
    sudo iptables -F
    sudo iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
    sudo iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
    sudo iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT

Be careful when flushing if this is a remote server. Since it's in your home I guess you have terminal access too since flushing can leave you locked out. I think a better option is to run the flush command after setting the ACCEPT policies, at the end. But I'm not 100% sure. Doug knows more and will be able to comment on that.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans

Hi Darkod, I have tried to access my server and sites away form home (at work), and still don't get a response. I will check the ip tables and do the flushing and see what happens. I am also thining I may have missed something in the router. I'll have to plug my server directly into my modem to rule that out. DanThanks,

Beans

HOORAY, I am ALMOST there. one of my sites www.biddock.com works! Now the issue I have is that the other sites I have are all pulling up the biddock page even though I have the document root for each one set to go to their own. folders. Check Bazoodle.com or any of the others and you can see how they all resolve to Biddock. How do I get each one to go to its own folder? They should be doing name based, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Thanks,
    Dan

Beans

(SOLVED) Re: HELP I know I must have missed something simple :-)

I finally got it. had to change the ports.conf to the internal i.p. , now they all resolve to the server and each one to it's own folder. Thank you all for the help. !!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Everything seems O.K. from here, except bazoodle.com goes to biddock.com web page. The others from your list above are O.K. However www.bazoodle.com works, just bazoodle.com goes to the wrong page. Double check the aliases and such.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

Done, Bazoodle now goes to it's own folder...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I guess I was trying things at the same time as you made changes. Now all is O.K.
    But what about the original problem where it wasn't responding at all, except for the ICMP unreachable thing. What was the issue there?
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

Not sure, but I deleted the freedns stuff and am just using the godaddy nameservers. It may have had something to with the router ( I changed the port forwarding), or the firewall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12