Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Addind HDD

Beans

Re: Addind HDD

My bad, I will disregard fdisk. As for parted, the 1049KB was bothering me. Then I realized that for libparted a kilobyte is not equal to 1024 bytes, instead, is equal to 1000 bytes.

sudo parted /dev/sdb unit b print

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
    1 1048576B 4000786153471B 4000785104896B ext4

1048576B is 1MiB (1048576B ~= 1049KB)

1048576/2048 = 512 byte. So yeah, it all makes sens now .

Okay so now that's what I was talking about in the OP. Where and how do I properly mount these two disks with their UUIDs?

Ps: It's not what I meant by frustrating. Coming from windows, I'm used to the gooey GUI environment and plug-and-play kind of things. What used to be overlooked in Windows in now a bit more work in Ubuntu, and the feeling on being stuck on something that simple is very undermining. But don't get me wrong, I love it, despite the learning curve. There's a first time for everything! I actually feel pretty darn good about having have successfully partitioned a disk

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just curious have you looked into LVM https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lvm instead of Flexraid? Or you can use Mdadm raid like Drako mentioned.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Again, I don't know how FlexRAID works.
    But for mounting the partitions directly, you have two approaches. You can use /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1, or their UUIDs.

Using /dev/sdb1 will work but only if you don't move disks so that they get different letter in the ordering. Since this is a VM, this is unlikely. The UUID will work regardless of moving disks, as long as you don't reformat the partition because it gets the UUID during formatting.

Since you have ext4 on both partitions, the lines you need to add in /etc/fstab are like:
    Code:
    /dev/sdb1   /mountpoint1   ext4   defaults   0   2
    /dev/sdc1   /mountpoint2   ext4   defaults   0   2
    The mount point is a simple folder and can be named what ever you want. You have to create it first, only once (not on every boot of course). You will find the mounted partitions at /mountpoint1 and /mountpoint2.

Using the UUID would be the same only you replace /dev/sdb1 (and /dev/sdc1) with UUID=<string>.

You can get the UUIDs of all partitions with:
    sudo blkid
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolgentoo View Post
    Just curious have you looked into LVM https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lvm instead of Flexraid? Or you can use Mdadm raid like Drako mentioned.
    I had no idea of what LVM was, but it looks very interesting. Particularly the hot-swapping possibilities. However, if a disk in a LVM Logical Volume Group fails, the whole group is corrupted.

FlexRAID can create a storage pool spanning the disks, which creates one massive logical volume. FlexRAID will also protect any type of Data Risk Unit, DRU, as long as the Parity Protection Unit, PPU, is the largest volume in the array. That means that DRUs can be a mix of any sizes and types, will all be pooled and protected (it could very well be a HDD, a network storage, a USB stick, anything!). Ultimately, a single PPU can in theory support an unlimited number of DRU (of course, additional PPUs are possible for more redundancy). These are the reasons why I stuck and have been very happy with FlexRAID

And in my case, the data in not changing much. Hence snapshot RAID makes much more sense.
    Last edited by lakz; April 5th, 2013 at 07:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by lakz View Post
    I had no idea of what LVM was, but it looks very interesting. Particularly the hot-swapping possibilities. However, if a disk in a LVM Logical Volume Group fails, the whole group is corrupted.
    the use of Mirror in LVM covers that loss of a drive. command to recover after dead drive replaced in LVM
    vgcfgrestore
    i should of put that in my post about LVM. I will look into Flexraid. sounds interesting...
    Last edited by oldschoolgentoo; April 5th, 2013 at 07:27 PM.

Beans

I read that using UUIDs is preferable because disk letters can be shuffled at boot. Anyways, I created the directories (/p1 and /d1).

Just to make sure, I manually mounted the first drive using sudo mount UUID=theuuid /p1. I can now see it in FlexRAID (almost there!).

However I tried to modify /etc/fstab.
    nano /etc/fstab
    Added the line : UUID=theuuid /p1 ext4 defaults 0 2

When I save and exit, I get :
    Error writing /etc/fstab: Permission denied

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

sudo nano /etc/fstab

You need sudo rights to modify fstab.
    Darko.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    sudo nano /etc/fstab

You need sudo rights to modify fstab.
    Yeah I actually used sudo nano /etc/fstab. I forgot to mention it...

I tried sudo nano -Bw /etc/fstab and have been able to modify fstab. The HDDs are mounted at boot . Success! THANK YOU SO MUCH DARKOD.

I have a question : in this guide, they talk about using sudo chmod -R 777 /"disk folder" to make it available to all users. Is that necessary?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If FlexRAID only "assembles" the mount points, it might be. Otherwise the linux filesystem permisions will block other users from having write permisions.
    Darko.

Beans

If the disks were to be used as plain data disks, you can define in the fstab who the owner/group of the mounted partition is. Look in the man page for the owner and group options. This will also works for volumes mounted from NFS,
    Can't think of anything profound or witty.
    My Blog: http://gonzothegeek.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast