1. Am having the dreaded "application still active" "power monitor" issue, where boot takes forever and I never get a live (clickable) power button on my panel any more. Last time, I replaced the battery in my mouse and that fixed it. This time, I have done everything including removing all USB devices. Also removed the gnome power monitor app entirely - no difference.

What caused this is (I think) is that I installed an update via update manager. Not a kernel update, just everything else. That has apparently led to issue #2, below.

2. I use Virtualbox. Now I get it's dreaded "Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908) error, telling me I need to run /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup as root, and to install DKMS. I did that the last time, along with several other arcane *nix commands that I will never find again.

I thought by installing DKMS that would prevent this problem?

Ugh. I love the (normal) security of my Ubuntu box, but I do not have time to deal with these issues. What do I need to do to fix these? Cannot fathom going back to Windows-land, but I can't deal with this any longer either.