Thread: Create shortcut to internet directory.

Beans

Red face Create shortcut to internet directory.

In windows os, there is a way while in a folder with the explorer to right click -> new -> shortcut

What is the equivalent procedure/steps for this?

No bash scripting!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Create shortcut to internet directory.

Rightclick "Make Link". Beware that symlinks are much more powerfull than Windows shortcuts. For practical purposes, they behave like a real directory. You can use them to create convenient access to the same data from different locations.

Beans

Also you can cd to the path you want the link in and type ln -s /path/to/fileorfolder.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Rightclick "Make Link". Beware that symlinks are much more powerfull than Windows shortcuts. For practical purposes, they behave like a real directory. You can use them to create convenient access to the same data from different locations.

I am not seeing this "Make Link" option.....perhaps it is because I am using gnome-shell? Sorry, I didn't necessarily mean "a directory" it's more like I want it to link to a specific page. My bad. :S

Beans

Symlinks aren't really analogous to a Windows shortcut. On most Linux desktops, the ".desktop" file is a closer match.

I don't use GNOME or nautilus, but if it has an equivalent function, it's probably a template under "create new". This is where it is on my file manager (dolphin).

If all else fails, a shortcut like this is nothing more than a text file with the following inside:
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Icon=text-html
    Type=Link
    URL[$e]=http://www.example.com

Beans

Minimize the file manager window, drag and drop the file on the desktop!