Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Install Ubuntu 12.10 with AMD Llano A8 3870 / EFI problem?

Beans

Can't Install Ubuntu 12.10 with AMD Llano A8 3870 / EFI problem?

Ok, so I know what your thinking, "why cant people just google and find out about nomodeset?", right?

Well I did find out about nomodeset, but I'm not sure I'm using it correctly.

I'm trying to install ubuntu from a USB drive created with LiLi (Linux Live USB Creator), but when I boot from my USB drive I get a black and white screen which say "GNU GRUB version 2.0-7ubuntu11" at the top and has some options (Install Ubuntu Server, Install in expert mode, OEM install) underneath. I select "Install Ubuntu Server" and press 'e' (I also pressed f6 for good measure). This gives me another black and white screen with the same title and the following text

setparams 'Install Ubuntu Server'
    set gfxpayload=keep
    linux /install/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-server.seed quiet --
    initrd /install/initrd.gz

I change this to
    set gfxpayload=keep
    linux /install/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-server.seed quiet nomodeset --

and hit f10 to boot. The the screen goes black, the monitor doesnt go to power save, but nothing else happens.

I was wonder about the "/cdrom/" given that I'm installing from a USB stick, so tried ...file=/preseed/..., but no luck

Ideas anyone?
    Last edited by RichardBruce; April 23rd, 2013 at 02:57 AM.

Beans

Re: Can't Install Ubuntu 12.10 with AMD Llano A8 3870

One thing to add.

I do have a UEFI system that seems to have caused trouble in the past, but Lili looks to have create a UEFI device for me (UEFI appears before my USB drive when I choose to boot from it)

Beans

Re: Can't Install Ubuntu 12.10 with AMD Llano A8 3870

So after some trial and error I've worked out that this is EFI related. I can start installing from a DVD in BIOS mode (even without nomodeset et. al.), but not EFI mode. The problem is now that I have 4 hard disks and only 4 SATA connections, therefore I must install from USB. If someone could answer one of these two questions I would be happy:
    1. How to make EFI booting work, see below?
    2. How to force my USB drive to boot in BIOS mode?

I would prefer option 1. So some more details. I have tried multiple Ubuntu versions now (11.10.12.04, 12.10, 13.04 beta) one version of Kubuntu (12.10 I think) and Fedora 18. All the (K)Ubuntu versions left me with a black screen as described above. Fedora, after following similar step as above, left me with a screen that said "Secure boot not enabled". I have hunted through my motherboard (ASUS f1 A55-M LK R2.0) manual and BIOS pages and cant find anything that looks like it's related to secure boot. Kind of stuck some more

EDIT:
    One thing that might be relavent. My PC has never had any Windows version installed on it.
    Last edited by RichardBruce; April 7th, 2013 at 09:55 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Can't Install Ubuntu 12.10 with AMD Llano A8 3870 / EFI problem?

Only systems with Windows 8 pre-installed have secure boot (so far). I would expect newer motherboard may have the secure boot setting.

But the newest versions of Ubuntu have UEFI secure boot capability, but I would still suggest those as they also have to newest UEFI fixes. Some of the older UEFI versions required major effort to get working, and with secure boot and the variety of UEFI implementations even new systems require a lot of effort.

Are you installing Desktop or Server?

You will need to use the 64 bit version of 12.10 or 12.04.2 and from the UEFI menu boot the flash drive in UEFI mode. That way it will install in UEFI mode.
    Systems need quick boot or fast boot turned off in UEFI settings. Vital for some systems. Best to backup efi partition and Windows partition first.
    Use Windows Disk Tools to shrink Windows main partition, but not to create any new partitions, if installing on same drive.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI
    As of 12.04.2, it is possible to install on UEFI systems with Secure Boot enabled (using signed versions of Shim, GRUB, and the Linux kernel). This is only currently set up for Ubuntu (desktop, alternate, and server) and Edubuntu images due to pressures of time; we expect to enable it across the entire Ubuntu family for 12.04.3. Details:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePango.../UbuntuDesktop

What video you do have. nomodeset is most common with nVidia but may work with some others. I have nViia and have to use nomodeset on every boot of a live installer and first boot after install or until I get nVidia driver working.

With UEFI the install boot is with grub and adding nomodeset or other boot options is more like a first boot, in that you use e on grub menu and edit linux line.

Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot mega thread - MAFoElffen
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535
    How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2 - both liveCD & first boot, but different
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

If you do not have Windows you can install in CSM or BIOS boot mode. Ubuntu will boot from gpt partitioned drives in either UEFI or BIOS mode. If you install with MBR(msdos) partitioning you will only be able to boot in BIOS mode. Even if reverting to BIOS mode I would use gpt and leave room or have an efi partition at beginning of drive so later you could convert to UEFI install. Boot-Repair will convert a BIOS install to UEFI if gpt partitioning and you have the efi partition. It basically uninstalls grub-pc(BIOS) and installs grub-efi(UEFI).
    Last edited by oldfred; April 7th, 2013 at 07:27 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks for the reply.

To answer some of your questions I am trying to install 64-bit server builds of Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.04 beta. I have ATI graphic, the Llano comes with an ATI graphics chip built in. My boot media is UEFI enabled because I can see UEFI: before the drive name when I choose which device to boot from. I am not trying to do a dual boot, I want ubuntu and only ubuntu on my machine.

I dont think the problem is graphics related because I can boot from a CD in BIOS mode. I did try nomodeset in EFI mode, but I got the same blank screen after the Grub menu. I will follow the advice in one of your links and add "nosplash --verbose text" to the boot command line, hopefully I can get some useful output.

Beans

So, with Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit sever, I tried adding a whole bunch of options on the "linux /install/vmlinuz...." command (nosplash, --verbose text, resume...), but none of them produced any output.

Then I tried pressing 'c' at the grub menu to get the grub> command line interface. From here I run the commands:
    grub>set gfxpayload=keep
    grub> linux /install/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-server.seed nosplash nomodeset --
    grub> initrd /install/initrd.gz

All of these command completed quickly, but still Unbuntu wasnt installing. Its almost like I'm missing some command lines so i tried:
    grub>boot

This is still running.

I must be missing something big and obvious here......

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have nVidia and nomodeset works for me.

I believe the gfxmode setting is grub trying to use the system's video not some lower level driver.
    You can try this or whatever you monitor uses.
    gfxmode=640x480

I think some just use generic setting to get something working also:
    Some other settings:
    http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/...up-workaround/

• Older Intel video card: i915.modeset=1 or i915.modeset=0 newer: i915.i915_enable_rc6=1
    • nVidia: nomodeset
    • Generic: xforcevesa or nouveau.modeset=0
    • Radeon: radeon.modeset=0
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I tried some of these options (radeon.modeset=0 and set gfxmode=xxx), but afraid all i have to report are some black screens.

In the command below <here> is the correct place to be putting these arguements (except gfxmode on the line above) isnt it?
    set gfxmode=xxx
    linux /install/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-server.seed quiet <here> --

I just found `set gfxmode=${GRUB_GFXMODE}` to try later

Some "good" news though it that from the grub command line "testvideo" worked for me. I got a black background with some coloured squares and "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" written on the largest square. So something is working.
    Last edited by RichardBruce; April 9th, 2013 at 02:57 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Are you not getting this line. If not do you have UEFI booting on?
    I do not have UEFI but this is from my 12.10 ISO:

linux /casper/vmlinuz.efi.signed file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity quiet splash --

And yes replace quiet splash with nomodeset or whatever boot option(s) may be required. Sometimes one for Video and others for other issues.
    Some have reported these, but every system is different and I do not know if Intel or AMD.
    Some systems need these boot parameters
    ACPI=Off nomodeset
    pci=nomsi noapic
    quiet splash vt.handoff=7 rootdelay=90 reboot=a,w

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
    http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum...parameters.txt
    noapic nolapic noapci noirqpoll nosmp irqpoll

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Are you not getting this line. If not do you have UEFI booting on?
    I do not have UEFI but this is from my 12.10 ISO:

linux /casper/vmlinuz.efi.signed file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity quiet splash --
    Thats interesting. From the grub menu I press 'e' on "Install Ubuntu Server" and all I see is
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardBruce
    set gfxpayload=keep
    linux /install/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-server.seed quiet --
    My USB drive is appearing with "UEFI:" before the drive name when I select the boot device. I tried to create the USB drive with LinuxLive USB creator and UNetBootin, both gave me the same commands. I will have a look around the drive to see if i can find the files your ISO contains.

EDIT:
    Mystery solved, you're looking at a desktop build and I'm looking at a server build. Thats why the commands are different, but I guess I should try the desktop build.
    Last edited by RichardBruce; April 9th, 2013 at 12:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast