Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Phasing out Google: alternatives to GMail

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Phasing out Google: alternatives to GMail

Hello everyone.

Here's a topic not directly related to Ubuntu, but that I believe most folk in the community should be familiar with. Although I've been a Google user for over 15 years I've grown increasingly wary of their Big Brother functionalities. I've dropped Docs (in great measure due to U1), the search engine and the web sites. The most difficult has been to drop GMail, since there's nothing really quite like it. But my resolution is growing, I'll be testing an alternative pretty soon.

I thus would like to hear experiences from folk that has phased out GMail in the past, or that may have any advice on the alternatives I'm contemplating, namely:

1. Setting up my own mail server
    2. Using an alternative "private" mail provider: Lavabit, Neomailbox, RiseUp, Hushmail

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Beans

Re: Phasing out Google: alternatives to GMail

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi - there is a thread re gmail alternatives, if it's the same/similar to what you're after let me know and I'll merge them.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=gmail

Beans

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, didn't know about this one. It sounds too good to be true, what's the catch?

Beans
    Distro

Loads of ads, no encryption, and many reports of usability problems. Apparently a downgrade from GMail.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lads View Post
    Hello everyone.

Here's a topic not directly related to Ubuntu, but that I believe most folk in the community should be familiar with. Although I've been a Google user for over 15 years I've grown increasingly wary of their Big Brother functionalities. I've dropped Docs (in great measure due to U1), the search engine and the web sites. The most difficult has been to drop GMail, since there's nothing really quite like it. But my resolution is growing, I'll be testing an alternative pretty soon.

I thus would like to hear experiences from folk that has phased out GMail in the past, or that may have any advice on the alternatives I'm contemplating, namely:

1. Setting up my own mail server
    2. Using an alternative "private" mail provider: Lavabit, Neomailbox, RiseUp, Hushmail

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    contact CoreComm . you get your own domain and 5gb web area + 25 email addresses -- $15\quarter. the e/mail service is excellent and ou can ser the size of the mail boxes on each user . WORKS WITH THUNDERBIRD and IMAP servers.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mike acker View Post
    contact CoreComm . you get your own domain and 5gb web area + 25 email addresses -- $15\quarter.
    Thanks Mike for the hint. On this particular kind of service, RackSpace seems the best around.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lads View Post
    Thanks Mike for the hint. On this particular kind of service, RackSpace seems the best around.
    i'm not familiar with RackSpace. I have used CoreComm for years and been very satisfied. they have a whole library of PHP software you can incorporate into your website -- all of it at n/c

their privacy statement says they do not monitor what you do.

and there is no advertising .

to me though I find the performance better. their e/mail just works better and as i said -- you can set the capacity as you like

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That is Stateside There is also gmx.net in the EU. With either one you can use IMAP, then you are free to use the mail client of your choice and add encryption that way. For example, Thunderbird with Enigmail would work for that.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast